1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lengthy, costly trail to Bay Bridge's eastern span

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From SF Gate:

Lengthy, costly trail to Bay Bridge's eastern span
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is a fascinating story of design by committee. :nono2:

I was sure I was just showing my age when I had the reaction above. Then I read this quote:

Let's just hope the bridge does better than the dot-com boom which collapsed. :sure:

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I have a side interest in various types of bridges. The unusual configuration of this cable stayed span is somewhat concerning. I'd think a smaller demonstration span (say a pedestrian span on a college campus somewhere) might have been a good idea, building such a large novel design in a demanding environment (earthquakes, salt spray, high humidity, large and variable live loads, demanding foundation requirements) might 'bite' somebody in the butt.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    "World's Toughest Fixes", episode 12 season 2 (available on Netflix), showed removing a section of the old bridge and inserting the 'S' curve over a Labor Day weekend. Pretty cool stuff.

I didn't know all the details of the new bridge, but as one commenter said, 'the west coast Big Dig.'.

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    That is what came to my mind when I read this article.