1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lessor Beware - H20 Upgrade Horrors

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hdAddict, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 51
    hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    Last Saturday I called D* to "upgrade" to an HR and H 20. I currently have an HR10-250 and a Samsung TS360 hooked to two HDTVs. The HR 20 was 199 plus shipping but I got a $10 credit for 6 months. The H20 was free but had to pay shipping. OK, so I agreed and gave D* my credit card. Install date for the HR will be Aug 20. The H machine was to be shipped Monday. Checked my orders Monday night and found D* chaged me $128 for the H20 ($99+shipping+tax). Called D* and was told D* does not give anything away free. I stated the H20 showed up under my account on the D* website as free and the CSR I ordered from stated it was free. She said no way. I said transfer me to Retention. Retention indicated all upgrades cost money. I indicated the usual stuff, been with D* since 1996, A List, paid bills on time, etc. Found sympathy and Retention agree and stated she would credit my credit card for the H20 and credit my account $50 for my trouble. Last evening the H20 was delivered. It was a REFURBISHED unit. Called D* today to complain but was told only NEW customers got new equipment and I had to settle for used stuff. I asked if that would be the same for the HR20, the one I paid $240 plus upfront for and she said “most likely”. Asked for Retention and was on hold for 10 minutes and then disconnected.

My question to any of you is: Anyone who has ordered from D* recently, either from the website, or by phone, did you receive new equipment or was it “refurbished”? If refurbished, did it bother you that you paid several hundred $$ for someone else’s problem(s)? It’s certainly bothers me that D* has come to this.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 51
    Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    I've never had any refurbished stuff. Everything was sealed in a new box.

3. Aug 8, 2007 #3 of 51
    MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I recently rcieved 2 hr20-100 deliverd free. One was a new unit. The second was refurbished unit. The funny thing is the new unit's caller id doesn't work. The refurbished units does. Most upgrades do cost $ now, but you can get a csr who listens you can get one free every 6 months. I didn't ask for the second reciever but they shipped it anyways. well hopes this helps you

4. Aug 9, 2007 #4 of 51
    RichH25

RichH25 AllStar

Jun 16, 2007
    I am a long time customer as well. This summer I have received 4 H20's and 1 HR20 from D*. I paid for two of the H20's and got the rest for only S&H. All were new and in sealed boxes. I have another HR20 coming to replace a dying HR10-250. Wouldn't be surprised if this one is a refurb since D* considers it a replacement for a defective unit.

For any box that is free, I wouldn't complain about a referb unit. Although, first sign of trouble I would want it replaced (personally had bad luck with referb electronics). I would defintely complain about getting a referb if I had to pay $199 for it.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #5 of 51
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    On leased units, they can send me refurbs all they want. As long as they're willing to replace it if it breaks, I don't care.

6. Aug 9, 2007 #6 of 51
    or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    Most likely if you are getting the hr20 installed it well be a new unit, never seen the techs with refurbished equipment on the trucks.

7. Aug 9, 2007 #7 of 51
    2Guysfootball

2Guysfootball Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    I upgraded to an H20 brand new in the box installed with the Slimline for Free.

8. Aug 9, 2007 #8 of 51
    bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    If the H20 was free I think I wouldn't be too concerned about the refurb. If I paid $199 I might be a little more upset (even though you still weren't paying full price). What I would be upset about is this: what happens if your refurb unit breaks? Will they ship you the replacement and stick you with a longer commitment? That seems a poor way to handle your customers, but I could see it happening. Good luck, but you're probably going to be very happy with whatever they send you.

9. Aug 9, 2007 #9 of 51
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Both DISH and Directv are now leasing the receivers to you. They own them so they can send you refurbished units. When a customer returns the equipment at the end of their lease what do you think they do throw the used equipment in the trash? It is refurbished and reused most times in better condition than some "new" products. This is no different than a cable company reissuing their converter boxes.

If you want "NEW" then buy it instead of leasing it.

10. Skooz

Skooz Legend

Jul 20, 2007
    I received my leased HR20 a few weeks ago and it is a refurbished unit.

I don't really care, though. My guess is that a refurbished unit may be more reliable than a new one. If I were buying it, I would be upset. But, since I am leasing it, it's no big deal.

BTW, it was free with $19.95 shipping.

11. gto5830

gto5830 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Ijust had a D12-300 replaced(no charge due to warranty) with a D11-100 and it was refirb'd.When I decided to stay with D* in Jan. all equipment was brand new. If I did have to pay for any equipment, I would want it brand new, but as a replacement of a faulty peice of equipment, then refirb is ok.

12. gto5830

gto5830 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2007
    But now even when you "buy", it is being leased.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Bottom line, if you want to make sure you get new equipment, you can always go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City.

I do suspect you're going to see more and more refurbs going out to existing customers, especially if they're offered free or almost free. I expect another huge marketing push this fall and winter and they are going to need every receiver they can get their hands on.

14. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    New versus refurb means a lot more when you are talking about a mechanical device. Not so much so with electronics, where power on hours and on\off cycles are measured nearly in decades.

15. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Please let me know how they are "better" than new? What is the refurbishing process used by DirecTV? Are the swapping HDs? Thoroughly cleaning the ports and board? My guess is they run their diagnostics program (the System Test) and if it passes they wipe the outside with a cleaner and re-pack it.

16. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Hard Drives are Mechanical Devices....they also tend not to do well when subjected to a lot of jostling.

17. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Dude, I used to engineer hard drives in the late 80's (Anybody remember Rodime?), they may have mechanical components, but their lifespan is that of a purely electronic device. Jostling issues are nearly non-existent now with the addition of sensors to detect drops, which park the heads in near instantaneous time frames.

Used can be better than new in the aspect that the infant mortality stage has been dealt with by someone else other than you. Once a device gets past this stage, failure is much less likely.

I just noticed you are in Delray Beach - I live in Boca, you may remember Rodime, it was a major local employer in the 80's , early 90's.

18. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I've had good luck with refurbs over the years. All 3 HR 20's I got were new and when I had to replace one of them they sent me a new one. With the H20 I wouldn't give it a second thought. When you have cable and take in a bad box they just pull another on off the shelf and hand it to you. You can only hope that they refurbished it.

19. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Most customers go into Best Buy /Circuit City and think they are buying when all they are doing is leasing and not being told it is a lease. The receivers can still be bought but the price is much higher and you truly do OWN THEM. Most people don't want to own them when they find out what the true cost is.:)

20. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Hey...can't say I recall Rodime. I've lived here for about 9 years. I do remember when IBM was in Boca though...used to have meetings with them there all the time (wasn't hard to convince us to come down from PA to do so during the winter).

HD life isn't horrible, but it's nowhere near that of an electronic circuit. It's the single worst defect point in most computers. Yes, HDs do self-park if there is software (like IBMs HD Detect) running. The drives are also supposed to do so when powered down.

Anyway, the problem I would have with a "refurb" is that in general nothing is done to returned units other than a diagnostic and a cleaning. This means the next person is getting a unit that was defective and is potentially still defective. For instance the Tuner 2 problem doesn't show when you run the HR20 diags...you have to go in and actually check the signal meters to see it. A bad block on the HD could also be there. The previous person...returns it...and the next person gets to use the device until he/she hits the same area and loses their recordings.

Now, it's true that 50% of the units being returned may not be "defective" and will operate just fine...but if you're paying for "new" you should get new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.