1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Put an End to Stretch-o-vision!

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by kw2957, Sep 14, 2008.

Would you want a "Squeeze" function added to available screen formats?

1. Absolutely! I hate stretch-o-vision!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Naah, I'm fine the way things are.

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  3. Another idea to deal with stretch-o-vision (please explain).

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. kw2957

kw2957 Godfather

Apr 4, 2008
    Hey everyone,

I have been thinking about a new option for the formats on our HR2x and H2x receivers the past few days and have finally decided to post it on the forum. I don't know if this has ever been suggested before, but why not give us an option to "Squeeze" the picture on HD channels so that it will fit in the 4:3 ratio (put black/gray bars on both sides of the picture). The purpose of this is to stop broadcasters like TBS and the History Channel who stretch their non-widescreen content to fill our 16:9 TVs, thus ending our complaints about stretch-o-vision. I don't see any reason why this cannot be done.

Perhaps we can get an option like this in a future software upgrade. So, what do you all think? Would you be in favor of adding this option to our available formats?

***By the way, I made a typo in the poll. It should say a "Squeeze" function, not a "Stretch" function. Sorry!***Happy to fix it --Mod

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    There is much less of this kind of programming today than there was even a year ago, I'm not sure it would be necessary. I can do so with my TV, but I understand not all sets will allow you to. Just tune to the SD version.

Edit: Many shows squeezed down look like heck anyway because they are not evenly stretched in the first place, so now you have a pillar boxed distorted picture.

3. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Leave it as is

4. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    i can unsqueeze it with a button on my remote for my tv already so doesnt matter to me....but yea y not.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Actually I'd prefer that the channels don't putz with the aspect ratio and for the no black bar folks allow the STB to stretch channels. The STB's do it for 480i channels but not for 720p/1080i channels.

The reason I don't like the idea of the box doing the 'unstretching' is that a number of channel that do the stretch do processing that leaves the center part of the picture alone but the farther out you go in the frame the more of a stretch they apply so having the box unstretch would distore the picture just as bad.

6. JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    The request not to stretch should be to the content providers (TBS, USA etc.) not Directv.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Agreed .. This is a broadcast issue, not a receiver issue.

8. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    What's worse is when they convince the guide data providers to place an HD symbol next in the guide. If it isn't true HD, it shouldn't be labeled as HD.

9. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    My panny has that option already. I'm assuming most good HDTV's give you options for full - 4x3 - zoom etc.

10. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Just as the OP suggested...

What if D* were to implement a "Squeeze" Format on its receivers, which will take the stretched programming and make it appear to be Pillar Boxed 4:3?

Would it then be considered a receiver issue?

11. kw2957

kw2957 Godfather

Apr 4, 2008
    I understand that it is not D* that is at fault, rather the networks themselves. However, since it seems that TBS and the other offenders will not stop this practice for the foreseeable future, there should be an option for those of us to squeeze stretched content through the receiver. My TV doesn't have this option built in, so it would be a nice feature. After all, doesn't the receiver offer pretty much every other format option?

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Agreed!

13. kw2957

kw2957 Godfather

Apr 4, 2008
    Hey thanks for fixing that Stuart...I just noticed the little note you left me in the red text. :D

14. xxplayactionxx

xxplayactionxx New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    When are all of the content providers going to start filming ALL new episodes in HD???

15. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    If the older episodes were filmed (not taped), and archived, then they can be rescanned as true HD, assuming that the "new" wider image areas were considered during production.

16mm film has a higher resolution than HDTV.