1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Say Thanks

Discussion in 'The OT' started by bosco10021, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 4, 2007 #1 of 20
    bosco10021

bosco10021 Icon

Apr 16, 2006
    Something cool that Xerox is doing...

If you go to this web site, www.LetsSayThanks.com you can pick out a thank you card and Xerox will print it and it will be sent to a soldier that is currently serving in Iraq. You can't pick out who gets it, but it will go to some member of the armed services.

How AMAZING it would be if we could get everyone we know to send one!!! This is a great site. Please send a card. It is FREE and it only takes a second.

2. Dec 4, 2007 #2 of 20
    Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    I just sent mine! Thanks for the link, and thanks to Xerox!

Tom in TX

3. Dec 4, 2007 #3 of 20
    dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    What a cool website! We just sent ours. Another great website is: http://operationac.com/

At this website, you can send stuff or send money for them to send stuff or you can adopt a soldier (they pick one for you from a list of soldiers that have expressed a desire to be adopted)! We've adopted 3 soldiers through them. The first one really tugged at our heart-strings. He joined up at the age of 28, 3 days after 9-11. He had no family and his wife divorced him because his joining up 'wasn't what she signed on for'. He was a real sweetheart who primarily wanted something to make him feel connected to home so that's what we were there for. We sent lots of care packages to all our adoptees that they then shared with their buddies! Probably one of the most fun things we've ever done - finding stuff to pack into the 'flat-rate' boxes that would ship well and be something they wouldn't find over there! Some stuff was practical (socks & baby-wipes), some tasty (dried fruit, handfuls of hot sauce packets from taco bell, cookies in the winter) and some just fun (tennis balls, frisbees, the Sunday funnies). It was all appreciated and just another way to be able to say 'Thanks'!

!pride

4. Dec 4, 2007 #4 of 20
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks for sharing. I hope you don't mind, I'm going to lift your post and forward it along to friends and family.

5. Dec 4, 2007 #5 of 20
    bosco10021

bosco10021 Icon

Apr 16, 2006
    Everyone is welcome to do this..

Let's get the word out and help our soldiers out.

6. Dec 4, 2007 #6 of 20
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Mine is on the way. As a veteran I know how important it is to have support from home.

7. Dec 4, 2007 #7 of 20
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    just sent mine... very cool link... thanks for posting... i am going to forward this on to everyone in my address book... and hopefully they will do the same...

8. Dec 5, 2007 #8 of 20
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    yupper, i can remember how important it felt to me receiving letter, cards, and care packages while i was there back in 1990. this is VERY important to show our support and thanks. this is really a tough time during the Holidays for the men & women that has left their families behind. this really means a lot for us Vet's as well. we all know how it feels and get treated when were home. so please don't forget to support the Men & Women when they get home.

as a thank you from me, i would like to thank the following members that said thank you to me for my service. if i missed anyone i do apologizes in advance.

Chris Blount
    Earl Bonovich
    Tom Robertson
    Nick
    Doug Brott
    Stuart Sweet
    HDTVsportfan
    VeryOldSchool <--veteran
    DrewG5
    Smiddy
    <-- veteran
    mhayes70
    houskamp

9. Dec 5, 2007 #9 of 20
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Thanks for passing this along. I've sent a message and posted the link on another forum. Already getting a positive response.

John

10. gulfwarvet

Mar 7, 2007
    thank you Card sent, Happy Holidays everyone :)

11. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Done, excellent site.

Thanks GWV for your past service.

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Great Idea! I've sent my card off and also copied Bosco's post and sent it to nine friends.

While on the Xerox site, I also noted another way of supporting our troops.
    Check out http://www.give2thetroops.org/

13. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Merry Christmas to you, too, GWV, and thank you for your service!

14. gulfwarvet

Mar 7, 2007

Thanks,

however our first priority is sending cards to the men & women that isn't going to be home for the Holidays. as well for family members of someone we know that has their service-men or service-women over seas.

after that, please don't forget to say thanks to all the veteran's thats members here as well.

15. joesigg

joesigg Legend

Feb 21, 2007

Thanks for the lead to the website. After reading your post, I adopted a soldier last night. Sent him boots he wanted. This is a lot better than cards, although I sent one of those too. I am passing your link to many others because I believe many of us want to do what we can but don't know how. This site lets us do it on a personal basis.

16. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Posted mine....I like GWV know whats its like to be over there and get even a little something from home letting you know you are missed and loved. As long as this site and others like it are around I will be there to offer what I can as will my wife and family.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

17. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Agreed - we sent our thank you card. We also make it a habit to thank anyone in uniform (firefighters, too) for their service and anyone wearing something indicating that they are a vet. We've ended up having some really interesting conversations doing this!

18. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    You're welcome and congratulations on your adoption. We had so much fun thinking up things we could send them that they might enjoy - you'd be surprised how much you can pack in one of the post office's flat rate packs! They're about shoe box size and I think they ship for about $8 now. Glad this site is being passed around!

19. joesigg

joesigg Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    I have found another site "Soldiers Angels". Know anything about it?

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Why not give a link...? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.