1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexington, KY

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jch464, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jch464

jch464 Guest

Any news, rumors or doubts on LEX KY being carried by DTV or E*??

2. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Lexington (and Memphis) was passed over for carriage right now on Dish because the local TV stations didn't want to play ball. So Dish packed up their transponder and took it to Louisville. (source..December 19 Retailer Chat...see recap thread strted by Darkman) I am told there is still a VERY slim chance for Lexington, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Thank the big three network affiliates (ABC, CBS, NBC). The Sincrair owned Fox station was the only major network willing to play ball, but Sinclair has a national agreement with Dish.

Dish probably only want to carry only the 5 channels (the ones above and PBS). The UPN and independent stations are low power and they have national deals for the Pax and TBN owned stations. The catch is that the Lexington TBN station is not owned by Trinity. Gray also owns a second CBS station in the market (Hazard) which is unique enough to qualify for Must Carry. But I don't know if this has any bearing on the subject.

See ya
    Tony

3. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Tony, Louisville is launched already of course..
    But I (I anyhow) didn't mean Louisville by "so Lovo(Lobo, Globo - lol???) got the Nod"....
    I am not even sure what i ment now.. - All i know i could not understand clearly What he mentioned there... - Maybe some1 else who watched Retailer Chat..or has a tape of it (and whose English is better then mine - can understand which market Charlie ment..
    In any case i thought he was talkng about some Market getting a Nod for the future, and not the present, such as Louisville..
    But maybe i missed something..

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Darkman,

As I stated in the other thread, There is no other major city in that spot remotely sounding like that. Add to that, they were not announcing (or letting slip) any new city information. I know they said Luehvil (The "PROPER" pronounciation Loiusville :D). They specifically mentioned that Lexington was passed over (along with Memphis) because they couldn't come to an agreement with the local channels for retransmission consent.

See ya
    Tony

5. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    This got me thinking.

In this post failed merger world I wonder if E* enters a city, hands all the network stations a standard E* retransmission consent "form", and if all the stations say no E* packs it's bags and says thank's for playing without really negotiating with any of the stations?

Then they come to a city like Louisville where 3 of the stations say yes to the standard proposal so E* stays and hammers out a deal with the remaining network station?

6. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Tony - hehe
    i see now..you are probably right then :)
    "Luehvil" (luvil) does kinda sounds like Lovo (cuz it could have been easily been Luvo...lol or Luvil) - i just could not understand at that time..
    ...lol - and i thought Charlie let some "hint" slip about new Loca Market..but sounds like he didn't :)
    Well he did say though - they ll start moving some things around or something..and then 1/2 dozen more new local markets should appear in Early '03

7. Tony:
    Anything new with WAVE 3 in Louisville?
    Touchdown Kentucky

8. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    No. Everyone is home for the holidays I gues. :)

See ya
    Tony

9. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    As a former resident of Louisville, KY, I feel like I must correct ya, Tony.

The pronounciation is "Loo uh vul."

A secondary, but acceptable pronounciation is "Loo vul."

Anyone, particularly at a U of L basketball or football game, pronouncing it "Louie ville" or "Louis ville" gets promptly labeled "Out of Towner" and has all kinds of crap thrown at them...

A similar situation exists in Nawlens (New Orleans to most of us)...

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks Ray. :D

Being a Puerto Rican, I always think of the U sounding as "oo". Rest assured, I have pronounced Louisville the same as your three syllable spelling since I worked in northern KY 12 years ago!

See ya
    Tony

11. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    i mostly know boxers, fighters from Ruerto Rico :)
    Ex: Tito Ortis, Tito Trinadad, Frez Oquendo (sorry if mispelled any names - i am bad for that) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.