1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberty Media eyes News Corp's stake in DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Liberty Media eyes News Corp's stake in DirecTV
    Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061012/media_nm/libertymedia_dc_1

2. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
  3. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    This seems to be "Liberty's" take on it..
    The "older" articles seemed to have been from the DirecTV/Murdoch side of things

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Probably bad. We need Mark Cuban to buy D*.:)

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Sorry.... Mark needs to use his money to buy the Cubs (Even though I am White Sox fan, is a terrible to see a professional team play worse then a lot of college teams)

:)

6. Nov 6, 2006 #6 of 21
    Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    11/6/2006 5:42:00 PM

Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei said talks between his company and News Corp. on a potential swamp of the former’s stake in the latter for assets owned by News Corp. are progressing, AP reported ( www.multichannel.com/article/CA6383582.html ).

Maffei told analysts during a conference call that Liberty remains interested in acquiring News Corp.'s 38% stake in direct-broadcast satellite provider DirecTV Group or another asset on a tax-efficient basis, according to AP.

“While I'm not sure where our negotiations with News will take us, one of the elements of a DirecTV deal that is appealing is the flexibility we would have,” he said on the call, AP reported.

Also on the call, Liberty reported results for its Liberty Interactive unit, which includes QVC and other interactive businesses, AP reported, adding that Liberty Interactive revenue rose 15% and operating cash flow was up 20% on the back of strong results at QVC, which reported a 12% increase in revenue to $1.65 billion.

At the company’s Starz Entertainment programming unit, revenue of $253 million was up 3% versus the year-ago quarter, which Liberty attributed to an increase in the average number of subscription units for services, and operating income rose to $40 million from $35 million, while operating costs rose 5% due to higher programming expenses, AP reported.

---
    ( Source: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6388797.html )

7. Nov 6, 2006 #7 of 21
    bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I have no love for Rupert and News Corp...but the last thing I want to see is John Malone in charge of things. :nono2:

8. Nov 7, 2006 #8 of 21
    Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    I don't see how he could make it worse! What could he do? Make HD Lite permanent? 10 Mbps instead of 12 or 13? Reduce the number of national HD channels from 7 to 5? Delay HD locals even more? Tell me, in addition to LA, now I can't even have NY DNS in HD, but can receive it in more fuzzy SD? Give us 2 or 3 more home shopping channels? Move all CSR's to Calcutta?

This really isn't a rant, just a statement of my disappointment with D* for the last couple of years.

9. Nov 7, 2006 #9 of 21
    Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    Just curious, what is your rationale for that statement? I'm not familiar with John Malone.

Could he possibly be worse than Rupert?

10. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, he surely could. Ask anyone who was a TCI subscriber. Ever-increasing fees and lack of investment in technology. Milked all he could out of the company until he could sell out to AT&T.

He might be good if you're interested in D* as an investor. He is unlikely to be good for the customers.

Plenty of info out on the web on Malone & TCI if you're interested in googling.

D* under NewsCorp hasn't been the same as they were under previous ownership, but things could definitely be worse under Malone.

11. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Sure, all that and more. And you'd definitely pay more for the privilege of being abused.

I am not happy with D* these days, but John Malone is highly unlikely to be a savior for customers. He is a maximum revenue for minimal service kinda guy, much moreso than even Rupert.

12. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    By Mike Farrell
    11/9/2006 1:49:00 PM

News Corp. is in “constructive” negotiations with Liberty Media regarding the former’s 38% interest in DirecTV Group, chief operating officer Peter Chernin said on a conference call with analysts and reporters Wednesday night.

News Corp. has been in talks for months regarding swapping its stake in DirecTV for the 19% News Corp. voting stake owned by Liberty. Earlier this week, Liberty CEO Gregg Maffei said negotiations were progressing.

In a conference call with analysts and reporters discussing its fiscal-first-quarter results, Chernin said that while there is no hurry to do a deal, talks are moving forward....

---
    ( The entire article is at the following source: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6389794.html )

13. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    The Times November 16, 2006

News Corp set to lose DirecTV in split from Liberty

By Dan Sabbagh

NEWS CORPORATION, the parent company of The Times, is hoping to reach a separation agreement with Liberty Media, its second-largest shareholder, by the end of the year.

Rupert Murdoch, the chief executive, told shareholders in Adelaide yesterday that an agreement with Liberty looked “very likely”. Any deal is likely to involve News Corp releasing its 37 per cent stake in the American satellite operator DirecTV.

An agreement with Liberty would also involve News Corp dropping its controversial poison pill defence against takeover. Mr Murdoch said that “if we settle the Liberty situation . . . we will probably just drop” the special protection.

In the expected deal Liberty would contribute its 19 per cent voting shareholding in News Corp into a joint venture, which would also include the DirecTV stake. That venture subsequently would be dissolved, with both sides swapping the assets.

Meanwhile, Mr Murdoch would be left in firm control of the media giant’s voting stock. His existing stake is at 31 per cent, and he makes no secret of the fact that retaining family control of the business is important to him.

News Corp’s likely retreat from DirecTV is surprising, after the battle it fought with EchoStar to buy the largest satellite broadcaster in the United States. However, it is concerned about the expense of providing DirecTV’s mainly rural customers with a broadband link to supply interactive services.

Mr Murdoch was speaking at a special shareholder meeting in the city where News Corp was founded. Although the company moved its listing to the United States, he promised investors he would return annually to update in person.

He hinted that News Corp was willing to sell four or five American television stations and indicated that newspaper advertising in Britain may improve slightly in the current financial year. He added that the group’s newspapers worldwide would “do as well as last year, and may look even better in England”. News Corp owns The Sun, The Sunday Times and the News of the World, as well as The Times in Britain.

Last week, News Corp unveiled profits of $843 million (£446 million) in the quarter to September.

---
    ( Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2455498,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=Business )

14. cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer Banned User

Sep 17, 2006
    Here is article from businessweek http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8LDIVAG0.htm

15. Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    I guess one of my questions would be, is video on demand that important?

Does anyone (or enough people to make it a serious business concern) say, "the number one issue for me in choosing a service provider is VOD." ?

When placed in perspective with amount/quality of programming, quality of signal and the DVR option, I don't see VOD as anywhere near a driving factor.

Think about it, the rural areas that they are concerned about reaching via broadband are the areas least likely to have real competition from cable, if cable even services their area.
    Cable is not an option for me and I live in DMA number 40!

Many people that live in rural areas, and I have been one of them, realize that they are not going to get the same options that urban dwellers have and they are okay with that.

The article actually says "interactive features", but I use VOD as an example because it the one feature most touted in the war between cable and DBS.

I still ask, how are interactive features that important? Or is that just the excuse given as an out?

16. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I think the interest in VOD is more industry generated than consumer generated. I've never had it available but many of my family members do have VOD with their cable carriers. I've ask how often they use it and most have never used it. Others replied "once". But in their marketing campaigns cable cos list this as a feature SAT doesn't have. I'd like to see a stat on what percentage of home with VOD available actually use it regularly.

You have PPVs and a DVR that can record "up to 100 hours". That's all the VOD I need. Although I would have liked to record all Star Wars episodes in HD. Oh well.

17. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    I here ya! My brother has VOD and the only time he really used it was to showcase it to me. He aso confessed to never really using it regularly, if at all. I think the DVR function is more than sufficiant!;)

18. jimbo09

jimbo09 Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    I could not agree more, VOD is definitely industry driven, as previously mentioned.
    Why? Because there is a potential charge for each use.

I gather from my time on these boards that the #1 concern is HD content, in one form or another (sports, events, locals, movies, etc), but there is also a lot of unwillingness to pay extra for the extra content. So, the industry may be looking at this as a less lucrative option.

19. Road Rage

Road Rage AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    interesting, this is the same Liberty that's trying to purchase the Atlanta Braves from Time/Warner. Which I can assure you they'll dump after 2 years for a tax benefit if it happens.

20. skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    The way I see it, VOD and broadband are just the excuse given by Murdoch to execute a plan he had in mind all along. Before Murdoch acquired D* everyone was talking of how he was willing to spend money to dominate the market citing Sky as an example. That never happened. The only thing Murdoch did was to make D* more profitable (for real or with accounting changes, doesn't matter) and push its value up. That's a plan for trying to make quick money, not to dominate the market. He bought it's share of D* at $14/share and now it's worth $21.5/share; over 50% gain in little more than 3 years is not bad and he could walk out with more if Liberty is giving up its $11 billion stake in Newcorp.
    Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.