1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LifeTime and Why doesn't DirecTV ever have problems answer!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Stewart Vernon, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This is just too good.

I wandered into the DirecTV forum here tonight... and there's a nice new thread about DirecTV suing LifeTime in part for negotiating a better pricing deal with Dish than with DirecTV.

So... Remember all the folk who said "Why doesn't DirecTV have problems?" and then when it was all over "I bet Charlie caved"...

This would seem to indicate several particularly cool things to me.

1. Charlie did fight and win and get a better deal for himself with LifeTime. Way to go Charlie.
    2. DirecTv chose not to fight LifeTime and ended up with a less attractive deal. Now has sour grapes wishing they had fought too and are suing to get what Dish got in the court of public opinion and negotiations.

I wonder if the folk that were mad at Charlie & Dish for the stand they took will take note of this... and realize that Dish did something right and good here, and now DirecTV is even recognizing it and is suing LifeTime.

I'm not always a rah-rah Charlie guy... I try to be fair... but you gotta admit this keeps looking better and better!

2. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    I don't watch Lifetime. I doubt half the people on this forum do either.

3. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Oh come on don't you want to watch "The Battered Bitch//Man Hating Movie of the week"? How could women live without those kind of movies? They wouldn't have the justification for all their bitchy behaviours towards men without these channels.:rolleyes:

4. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I haven't read the thread. Is it that D* has a "most favored nation" clause in its contract, so that Lifetime has to match the best/lowest deal it gives to any other system?

5. SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer Godfather

Feb 20, 2005
    I don't think it's that D* is sour over its deal with Lifetime but rather that it's worthwhile for them to try a legal move to get lower rates since E* set a precedent for a good rate deal with Lifetime. D* tried to look like the good guy and pull customers away from E* but since E* has Lifetime back, they're trying for the 2nd punch in getting their rates lowered with Lifetime for unfairness. If Lifetime caves in and give D* good rates, too, they'd be the only ones losing out then. :D

6. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    That's part of it. The rest is that Lifetime reneged on its deal to help D* steal customers from Dish with its $200 bounty.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    FYI: The thread is http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=55293
    DirecTV says it didn't know that Lifetime was negotiating a new agreement with EchoStar at the same time. Lifetime retracted its offer for the EchoStar customers Feb. 3, DirecTV said.​
    Yeah, right. D* doesn't keep up with very public negotiations. :rolleyes:

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Thanks, James, for posting the link... I forgot to do that last night when I started this thread.

I don't watch Lifetime... but I still found that whole "negotiation" interesting... and I find this follow-up action by DirecTV even more interesting... as it is a response of sorts to all the folk who like to ask "why doesn't DirecTV have these problems, why is it just Charlie".

It would seem the answer is that DirecTV doesn't usually fight unless and until someone else beats them... then they cry "foul" and will take a company to court even though they have an agreement with them. And someone DirecTV doesn't think they are partly to blame for not taking as active a part in negotiations for price as did Dish.

This kind of goes back to the Dish trying to be profitable, and DirecTV not caring as much since they have deeper pockets in the parent company behind them... If DirecTV ran more like they needed to make money, then perhaps they could negotiate good deals for themselves too and keep prices down for their customers. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.