1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightning arresting for HR21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by xmguy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    A week ago a very intense lightning storm took out my HR21-700 HDMI port. When lightning either hit my SL3 on my roof or hit near by. It also destroyed the HDMI port the HR21 was connected to. My Vizio. That is being repaired. I want to beable to record or even watch TV during storms without fear of my TV getting hit again or HR21 getting messed up. Is there an option or item I can buy to arrest the lightning before it gets to the reciever? If not will using Composite/Component connections and disconnecting the HDMI remove the risk of damage? I had my HR21 also connected to my Vizio via Composite as a backup. It still works ok. Ideas?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Recently we discussed such protection, it would cost you a lot and will require to build four tall towers in corners of your lot. Bonding them and grounding, all your cable's entries should be protected also ...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=192639