1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like to Upgrade to Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by djfrankie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. djfrankie

djfrankie Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    Good Afternoon All.

Trying to get a idea what it would take (equipment) to upgrade to Genie, from my current setup.

Thanks,
    Frank

2. turls

turls Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    You're going to need some work done from the looks of your equipment list (new multiswitch, etc). I would think if you buy the Genie DirecTV would take care of the rest.

Especially the slimeline. I don't think they have that any more ;)

3. djfrankie

djfrankie Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    Thanks for the reply.

That's I wanted to ask here and see what needs to be done.

No more Slimline? What dish do they have now?

4. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
  5. Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    If you're still running HR20s then you probably haven't had any equipment from them in a while and are more than likely out of contract.

Try calling and saying "Cancel my service" when the auto-robo-dame asks. When you get through, tell them you're looking at other options like Dish to get the whole home. Chances are, if you are polite and not confrontational, they could well offer it to you for free.

I called on Wednesday and they are installing an HR34 (Genie) along with the CCK and a new SWM tomorrow for no charge AND I got a $30.Mo credit for a year to go with it!

If you fail, decline what you are offered and call back again in a few days.

6. djfrankie

djfrankie Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    Thanks for the info. Actually, been a customer for 10 years now.

Will try that approach.

Frank

7. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    He was joking about the mis-spelling of Slimline (slimeline) in your signature.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And the equipment you'll need depends on what you're wanting to replace. Do you want to add it with your current DVR etc. Your H20 will need replaced if you want to use Whole Home with the Genie.

9. turls

turls Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    Thanks, I wouldn't have picked on the misspell but it is in the sig, which should be a spellcheck zone ;)

10. djfrankie

djfrankie Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    LOL. Never noticed the mis-spelling.

11. djfrankie

djfrankie Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    I would like to take advantage of being able to record 5 shows. Whole Home isn't a must. Could I keep my H20 if I don't use Whole Home?
    The H34 would replace the HR20

Thanks,
    Frank

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, the H20 is SWM compatible, it just can't connect to the HR34.

13. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    I can't see your sig but pretty sure the h20 will be swapped by default. It will probably offer a client or h21 or higher. Personally I would keep your hr20 or change it to a client and ditch the hd. But I don't use anything but dvrs/clients. And whole home service can be turned off at any time if you choose. Besides it costs the same money to keep your dvr and if it kicks the dust you will likely get a newer model if it is replaced. But to each their own. Clients are tiny and offer some advantages. What is important to you? To me the idea behind a genie for you is more ability to dvr, hence the suggestion to keep your current dvr along with the genie. Either way good luck! Genies are gangster!

14. djfrankie

djfrankie Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    I called DTV yesterday and got Genie (to replace the HR20), whole room, CCK (will be wifi) and 1 client (to replace the H20) $49.

Currently, I have two lines running to my HR20 and 1 to my H20.

What can I expect from the install?

Thanks,
    Frank