1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Limited HD Programming

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by dishhdwonderer, Jan 12, 2013.

1. dishhdwonderer

dishhdwonderer New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    True or False?

Does DISH Network regulate or limit the amount of air time of HD programming? I was told that DISH HD subscribers are really only receiving approximately 4 hours per day of HD programming.
    :scratch:

2. mikeren1

mikeren1 AllStar

Sep 13, 2008
    Jax, Fl
    wow:confused:

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I believe only the RSNs are part time with DISH. The national HD channels are full time.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This seems like it is from way out of left field. Who would even start that kind of rumor? It is so absurdly wrong that even someone who hates Dish surely wouldn't be making that kind of thing up.

There are some non-full-time channels... but there are lots of full-time (or at least as full-time as they are anywhere else) full-time HD channels.

5. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Sounds like DISH is the subject of attacks by someone. There's a thread on General forum that's equally ridiculous. Maybe the broadcast networks have nothing better to do than get revenge for the Hopper? Maybe another satellite company? Or more likely an immature fool who needs to get out of his room and get a life.

6. ts7

ts7 Mentor

Nov 1, 2011
    Could be referring to Dish's compression. However if Dish is providing 4 hrs of full, uncompressed HD each day, I think that puts them ahead of other providers! ;)

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    False. And I don't know how to put it more clearly. Whomever told you that was wrong.

DISH has 115 channels of HD - without counting the Pay Per View, Regional Sports and Video on Demand offerings. For that to add up to only 4 hours would be crazy (and since 99 of those 115 channels are also on DirecTV, one making that "4 hour" claim would also be insulting other providers).

Thanks for the laugh.

8. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007

Uncompressed?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    another rumor ...

perhaps he is thinking about resolution and GOP numbers ?
    1440x1080i and 30+ GOPs for dish

10. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    unlike directv

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    It does seem to be a strange first post to me though.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No television provider anywhere delivers uncompressed video. LOL. There aren't any that even provide lossless compression; it's all lossy compression of one form or another.

The differences are in resolution, codec, and bitrate.

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Unlike DirecTV? I hope you realize that there isn't a single provider anywhere in the world distributing uncompressed video. Even Blu-ray is compressed.

Dish Network has plenty of flaws (HD-Lite, fewer HD channels than DirecTV, far too many part-time HD channels, missing RSN's from the nation's #1 DMA, theft, protracted retrans disputes, etc.), but the complaint mentioned by the OP is bogus.

14. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I know. I was only wondering if they meant something else.

15. ts7

ts7 Mentor

Nov 1, 2011
    That was my tongue-in-cheek point. If Dish delivered 4 hrs of uncompressed video a day, that would make them the leader. LOL

Perhaps I should have said the OP may have been referring to Dish's "downrezzing" or "HDLite" debate of times past.

Personally I noticed a negligible difference between the HD on Dish vs DirecTV but nothing that was going to effect my viewing. On the other hand I found SD to be superior on Dish.

I think the OP heard some rumours that may have had some factual basis but were distorted and blown way out of proportion. The bottom line is that Dish, DirecTV and the cable companies retransmit HD signals in HD format on the channels they designate as HD though not every channel necessarily carries HD programming 24x7. Every carrier has a different mix of HD channel lineups. Compression formats, downrezzing and other technical issues aside, the majority of the viewing public couldn't tell the difference between HD on one provider or another.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Actually anyone knows when the squeezing video does come to unacceptable level - any untrained eye can recognize macro-blocking and halos. People complaining a lot about the issues, not counting millions of sport fans when edge's jagging become remarkable during watching fast moving players.