1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Linda Ronstadt reveals she has Parkinson’s disease, can no longer sing

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Aug 24, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From this article this article:
    Sometimes getting old is....

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm saddened to learn of this. She was a great singer. "Different Drum" is my favorite by her when she was a member of "The Stone Poneys". I agree with phrelin. Sometimes getting old is....

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I have had the pleasure of knowing the Ronstadt family for most of my life. Linda has always been an exceptional person and has brought a lot of happiness and joy to many people, reading this is very upsetting.

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    It really saddens me to learn of this. As others before me have said, she had a beautiful voice.

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I didn't realize where the news came from. Apparently there will be a full interview published in an AARP publication next month, but a portion is published here:

The article uses "legendary singer" and I would have to agree. She had a voice with an incredible range and has been recorded singing an extremely broad range of music, creating a legacy for all to enjoy.

6. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I always Liked her singing, What a Shame. It has to be tough.
    Sometimes getting old is....not even that good

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Parkinson's is hellish for those that suffer from it and their families. Trust me, I've lived it with my parents and mother-in-law.

A lot of people don't know that it also can cause mood swings and depression.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think there are still many people that think all it does is cause you to shake. Of course there is much more than that. I'm involved in a charity event to raise money for research, with a bike ride that a former Olympian and professional racer will participate in, who has Parkinson's. Considering the balance issues it has caused him, I'm amazed that he can still ride 40k. But it has also caused me to look more into the disease than I really had before.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Something I have always wondered... I have never heard of a person getting Parkinson's that wasn't an active person... and I have never heard of a (pardon the insult) dumb person getting Alzheimer's... so I sometimes wonder if there isn't a parallel there.

I don't mean to say being hyper or overactive "causes" Parkinson's... rather, that perhaps Parkinson's doesn't happen as you get older... but rather was always there and in part contributed to your being more active in youth. Similarly, with Alzheimer's... perhaps we will one day find that some of our intelligent youth are intelligent because of Alzheimer's at an early age that at first causes positive side-effects before the negative ones later in life.

I think of this because I wonder if it might help in treating/diagnosing/preventing these in the future as we learn more about them.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes, it is a hellish way to live out the end of your life. In my family, so far only one aunt suffered that and she was 70+ before symptoms started to appear. The biggest problem is the progressive inability to live a normal daily life.

I had another aunt who had Alzheimer's. For her there was frustration but by the time it became severe she was unaware of her inability to live a normal daily life.

We have been watching as Bill Geist, on CBS Sunday Morning, deals with it. See Bill Geist: Parkinson's revelation "very difficult".

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Her book is out according to this LA Times article Linda Ronstadt's 'Simple Dreams' book: A singer from the start.

For whatever really great reason the article links to this video in which she is singing with Kate, Anna, and Jane McGarrigle and Maria Muldaur:

[youtubehd]yDrkUmxrxpQ[/youtubehd]​

The significance of this video is it's an homage to some of the most important women singers of Ronstadt's era. Not well known to many Americans the McGarrigle sisters were important folk singer songwriters. I use the word "were" because Kate died in 2010 which makes the video more poignant. Kate McGarrigle was married to Loudon Wainwright III and was the mother of Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright. Kate and Anna have a large number of albums and the three have written a lot of songs, many covered by Ronstadt. Muldaur is an award winning American folk-blues singer who in the early 60's was part of the Greenwich Village scene but in the late '70's became a regular member of the Grateful Dead as a backup singer. Ronstadt was the most successful if album sales and name recognition are the criteria.