1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Line Mode/RF Mode, Please explain to me

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Brandon16Extreme, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon16Extreme

Brandon16Extreme New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    What do these mean, I have my 622 reciever hooked up to my sound reciever via optical cable. I'm just wondering what these modes mean, And which one would be the best to use on my home theator.

2. wje

wje Godfather DBSTalk Club

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    The settings really have nothing to do with either line or RF. They actually control the amount of dynamic compression applied to the sound level. 'Line' is what would normally be used. 'RF' compresses the dynamic range so that there is not as much difference between the softest and loudest sounds. It's good for listening when you want the volume turned down, but still want to be able to hear the quiet parts.

This is part of the Dolby spec, you can find plenty of info by doing web search.

3. nicedeboy26

nicedeboy26 Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    The manual would help. wink wink

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Please correct me if I am wrong here... but I think I have read somewhere that the Line/RF compression settings only apply to the analog audio outputs. In other words, if you use the optical audio output OR the audio through HDMI, then this setting actually has no effect.

5. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Please just set it to "Line" and forget about it.

That's the easiest explanation in my book!

6. wje

wje Godfather DBSTalk Club

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    Correct. (or, at least, you should be correct) It's the responsibility of the decoding device to apply the compression. So, either setting is OK if you don't use the analog audio from the 622.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.