1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lines at top of TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by -Draino-, May 21, 2009.

1. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I sometimes get white lines at the top of my picture during commercials. Not all commercials and not all the time. It never happens on normal TV shows weather HD or not. I have a HR22 and a new Samsung 8000 LED TV.

Because the commercials never last long enough for me to switch over to cable to see if it happens there, it makes it hard to test if its the TV or the HD box or the HDMI cable.

I do notice that when on cable the commercials "fill" the screen but when on the HD box they get croped. I have the box set to original in the TV setting and aspect ratio set to 16:9

Does anyone else have this issue on commercials?

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    It might be incorrect 'scanning' at the head end where some of the 'data' lines are visible.
    I doubt this has anything to do with your TV, the IRD or even D*.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Samsung has had problems with compatibility with HDMI. Try component wiring. You might also want to try Native on.

Rich

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You're seeing a small portion of the digital text information encoded in the video signal's "vertical blanking interval". Some TV provide different settings for "overscan" that can hide this sort of thing. But if it's only on commercials, don't worry about it.

5. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My Samsung has a advanced picture feature that allows 4:3, wide, 16:9 and screen fit.

If I use 16:9 there is NEVER a problem.

It only happens on screen fit (that does have up-down and side to side adjustments) but even adjusted all the way up, I still can see the lines on commercials.

So I guess I will use 16:9, there IS a difference between the 16:9 and screen fit, 16:9 seems to expand the picture ever so slightly.

This is what the manual says:
    16:9 : Sets the picture to 16:9 wide mode.
    Zoom1: Magnifies the size of the picture on the screen.
    Zoom2: Magnifies the size of the picture more than Zoom1.
    Wide Fit: Enlarges the aspect ratio of the picture to fit the entire screen.
    4:3 : Sets the picture to 4:3 normal mode.
    Screen Fit: Use the function to see the full image without any cutoff when HDMI (720p/1080i/1080p), Component
    (1080i/1080p) or DTV (1080i) signals are input.

So it seems that I might be losing some picture on 16:9 but like I said, it appears to be minimal

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I only see this when viewing HD stations in letterbox mode on a 4:3 display, and rarely even then.

7. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have a HR21-700 and a Panasonic TH-65PF10UK plasma connected by HDMI and I see the same thing. I run the display in "1:1 pixel mode" to see the whole picture - if I turn that off, the panel zooms the picture and clips off the edges, which can crop low-flying subtitles.

This seems to happen only on some 4:3 aspect ratio commercials.

8. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    here too

9. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I noticed the lines on my daughter's HDTV in Florida when we visited last month. She subscribes to Dish.
    Since we returned I've also noticed the effect occasionally during CBS Evening News. It shows up only when they are showing a 4:3 feed, i.e. between the HD pillars, and not always then.
    It doesn't happen often enough for me to worry about it.:(

10. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    It's the Aliens!! They're using our own satellites against us!!

11. pbaran

pbaran Cool Member

May 23, 2006
    I have a 42" VISIO and in settings I can adjust the vertical setting up a little to roll the white dashes off the top of the screen. Maybe your TV has the same adjustment.