1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lines in the sd channels knowtice real bad in logo hd is fine?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bluegrizzlies1, Oct 10, 2010.

1. bluegrizzlies1

bluegrizzlies1 Cool Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Sd channels look like crap have thin black lines running through sd can see really bad in channel logos but hd channels are crystal clear?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It would help to have more information about your equipment ....
    * Receiver/DVR model?
    * TV model?
    * How is the Receiver/DVR connected to your TV?
    * Has it always had this problem, or did it just start recently?
    * Do you have other Receivers/DVRs? Do they also show this problem?

3. bluegrizzlies1

Sep 12, 2008
    * Receiver/DVR model? (Hd dvr 24-500)
    * TV model? ( Sharp aquas 50 inch)
    * How is the Receiver/DVR connected to your TV? (Hdmi)
    * Has it always had this problem, or did it just start recently? (Yes) installer left before looking at sd channels.
    * Do you have other Receivers/DVRs? Do they also show this problem?(yes) hd dvr h2-700 on a poloroid 42 inch tv.

4. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Interesting. SD channels will never look great on a large screen HDTV. But I don't notice the sort of "lines" that you're describing. Can you post a photo?

Exactly what SD channels have this problem?

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    SD typically has visible scan lines. IOW, it can look like a bunch of individual video lines sandwiched between a bunch of individual black lines. One of the ideas of HD was to have more lines so that the lines between the video lines would be "more" invisible. Could this be what you are seeing?

6. bluegrizzlies1

Sep 12, 2008
    You can see the lines very clear its really weird.

These tvs is a friend of mine and she turned it to sd I was like wtf.

I have 2 hd tvs with directv and my sd channels look nothing like it. I think my hd dvrs are hr-22.

I know sd is gonna look like crap but her tvs look like someone took a black marker and drew lines vertical in the tv logos.

7. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Can you post a photo?

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I never heard of this. If it was a common occurence, subscribers would be up in arms due to the many DirecTV channels that aren't available in HD.

I've never seen it on my R22 which is hooked up via HDMI to my Toshiba HDTV and I don't subscribe to DirecTV HD so ALL my channels are in SD.

This has to be some kind of setting conflict with the TV.

What does the TV do if you connect it to an antenna and tune in a station not transmitting HD using it's internal tuner? Another troubleshooting step you could try is hooking the TV to one of those "digital TV converters" if you have one. They do not support HD.

9. bluegrizzlies1

Sep 12, 2008
    She had dish network on the same tvs and it looked fine nothing like it does now.

10. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Can you post a photo?