1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

link to direcv slimline video

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dndctp111, Sep 24, 2010.

1. dndctp111

dndctp111 New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    does anyone have a link to the directv install video for the newest slimline 5lnb. I need to know how to configure the acutrac 22 for dish pointing.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
  3. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Since my install didn't happen this week and I don't feel like waiting a month for my new install date, I'm thinking that I'm going to purchase a dish myself from ebay (found 'em there for $70 w/ free shipping).

Can these new Ka/Ku dishes be aligned using the DIY method with a receiver and TV?? From the video, it looks like the new dishes require a lot more finesse to align. I'm just wondering if the signal meters on the receiver are accurate enough for an alignment. I suppose I'd only need a reasonably close alignment (if that's even good enough). If a D* tech ever makes it to my house, I can have them fine tune it.

If this can be done, are there any links that might have helpful hints on how to do the alignment with out a meter?

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    byrd, I put my slimline up using just the IRD meter. You can do it, I know you can. Just have a plumb pole and you are halfway there.

5. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Did you just use the IRD meter in a similar fashion to what was described in the video?

1) With no dish adjustments, rotate about the azimuth starting from the angle obtained from the IRD until a peak 101 signal is found. Lock the mast pole bolts. Any specific transponder(s) best for this adjustment?
    2) Adjust the elevation until the 101 signal is at it's max level.
    3) Rotate about tilt axis until the max signal level for the 119 sat is reached. Lock the tilt bolts. Any specific transponder best?
    4) Fine adjustments. Can fine adjustments be done very well with the IRD meter?

I'm going stop by a local muffler shop on the way home and see if I can get a pole. Checked NAPA yesterday, and my local store doesn't carry any.

dndctp111, Sorry to hijack the thread! :D

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I set the rough adjustments after I set it on the pole. I then slowly rotated it on the pole until I found the high point of the 101. I then locked the azimuth. Then I tweaked the tilt until I got the high point. I got the 119 and dithered too. I have high 80s on my Ka birds. I think it is low from the giant tree in front of it, and I probably reversed a set in there too somewhere.

Remember the IRD is giving you signal quality, not signal strength. You might watch this here, I found it informative:
    http://www.appliedin.com/www/services_and_support/education_videos.html

7. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Thanks for the link matt1124. I'll check out those videos.

Question.... I just went and purchased an Slimline dish from eBay. It comes with a non-SWM SL3 LNB. I'm thinking that since I have some trees that will most likely cause issues with my 119 signal at some point, and I won't need the 119 for HD locals, I may just use the SL3 LNB (instead of the SL5 LNB that I purchased last week). How much different is the SL3 to adjust from the SL5? Is it exactly the same, except the 99 or 103 signal is used for tilt instead of the 119? Or is there NO tilt adjustment for the SL3? I would think that since they are both rather close to the 101, if it does need to be adjusted, the tilt would be a bit trickier with the SL3 than the SL5.

Also, with regard to the Acutrac 22... I noticed that Acutrac 22 is around $60 on eBay. I think it would be worth it even for a couple uses. I could also use it to help friends, family etc. I see that the Acutrac 22 is only good for the 101, 110, and 119. Does this mean that it can't be used for the alignment of an SL3? If not, what meter can be used for an SL3?