1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip-synching bad??

Discussion in 'The OT' started by pjmrt, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 6, 2004 #1 of 18
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    And interesting article about the latest stars being branded "lip-synchers"
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/05/music.lip.synching.ap/index.html

It raises an interesting point, is it really that bad? I probably would be less inclined to plop down the (sometimes hefty) concert ticket price if I knew in advance the artist was going to lip-synch the songs. But the concert really is more about the show. The albums made from live concerts are among my least favorite - seems like they sing the songs "wrong", not like the studio session which we liked and wanted to hear.

2. Nov 6, 2004 #2 of 18
    SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    I think it is. Just as if you went to see a hockey game, and found out that the game was actually scripted, when you expected a competitive game. Now if they advertised it as "Huge Pop Star Lip Synching event". I think that would be perfectly acceptable, although I doubt they would sell as many tickets if they were honest about the product they are providing.

3. Nov 6, 2004 #3 of 18
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I heard an interview with the leader of the SNL band this past week. He said that virtually every artist who sings on the show lip-syncs to some extent, ranging from 20-80% being prerecorded. He gave a number of reasons. One is that some of the more "athletic" dancers would be out of breath without the enhancement.

I do a fair amount of public speaking, and I also do quite a bit of public singing. I sing barbershop with two different groups, and at some times of the year we are in great demand. You really have to take care of your voice. I have often thought of the professionals who are singing every day, and sometimes performing several times a day. I can very well see how backing yourself up with a prerecorded track can help you preserve your voice. I think if they thought about it most fans would rather hear 50% of their idol than nothing. And that is what they would get if many singers had to put out full voice every night.

4. Nov 6, 2004 #4 of 18
    SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004

I do not disagree with that, however, I think that if they are doing that, they should be honest about the event you are purchasing a ticket for.

5. Nov 6, 2004 #5 of 18
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It is still the star, it is the voice of the star, what do you want, a notification of the percentage of how much of the performance is "live?"

6. Nov 6, 2004 #6 of 18
    SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    Absolutely. That is what is being advertised. Would you feel it was acceptable had you found out that MLB decided in April that the Red Sox would sweep the Cardinals?

7. Nov 6, 2004 #7 of 18
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Apples and Oranges. Although the guys who claimed to be the Cardinals in those last four games did seem to be lip-synching the real Cardinals.

8. Nov 6, 2004 #8 of 18
    SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    I don't think it is apples and oranges. It is a matter of what you pay to see. I am paying to see a live competetive hockey game tonight. Concert goers are paying to see a live concert. If it is not going to be either of those things, they need to make you aware of that.

9. Nov 6, 2004 #9 of 18
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I suspected the baseball commissioner was up to something :D

10. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    So you want to know if it is a live concert, or a live/live concert?

11. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    I want to know if the music I am hearing will be live, or recorded, or a mixture of both, ABSOLUTELY.

12. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    With the amount of processing done in the studio these days it gets harder all the time for an artist to come close to producing a product even close to the recorded product in a live situation. Many times (most?) a voice is now pitch corrected for being off key in the studio. Few records (cd's) that you buy today have uncorrected vocal tracks. Ah, the magic of digital audio. Digital audio technology has allowed people with little real talent to record "great" sounding records. At the rate the technology is progressing being able to carry a tune won't matter and the only thing necessary to make a hit will be proper packaging. Many moons ago I had a small studio in Minneapolis, all analog. Things that are being done in studios today would have been a pipe dream. Recording all digitally today is more of an assembly line project than a real recording project anymore. Jimmy Jam, mentioned in the story, is an old customer of mine from my pro audio days. He was a very early adopter of digital studio technology, having bought one of the first Harrison digital mixing consoles while still recording to an analog 24 track recorder. Now that digital storage has progressed as it has, the 2" 24 track tape machine is no longer in the chain, replaced with massive hard drives. Digital storage progression is what really caused the progression of recording to the point of assembly line work. This progression is also (back on to lipsync) what has created the requirement to lip sync in a live concert situation. So long as the "artist" has the ability to recall the words to the song that was pieced together for her/him in the studio and mouth those words, she/he can be a star.

13. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    This is why most of the music I listen to these days is country music. REAL country music not some of these new artists claiming to be country artists :D

14. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    There are limits to the sacrifice I will make just to listen to real music. :D

15. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Few records (cd's) that you buy today have uncorrected vocal tracks. Ah, the magic of digital audio.

I have no problem with a CD being a finely polished piece of work. However when I go to a live concert, I don't expect to hear that exact same polish from the stage. If I wanted to just listen to my CD, I'd not have gone to the show.

None of my favorite artists lip sync. One can definately tell the difference between their live show and the album. However all of them are good enough that the difference isn't THAT great.

Folks like Ashlee Simpson rely so heavily on pre-recorded perfection that its impossible for them to ever duplicate their CD sound in a live concert, and thus their concerts are just repeats of their CD's.

If she had a "visual" performance, ala Britney Spears, where she was dancing or the like, I'd forgive it. But someone who claims to be primarily a singer should sing, and not rely upon pre-recorded music at any live event.

16. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    but ole hank and marty have been in the grave for several years now - they don't tour much any more :lol:

17. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I like the idea of the artist at least putting out the effort to fully perform his/her songs - not just move the mouth while a CD plays. And I agree, I don't expect the same vocal polish, especially when its an outdoor concert. I've been to a few of those, and interesting things can happen. Concert tickets aren't cheap - the audience deserves the best from the artist.

18. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Toby Keith's real voice sounds more like Alvin the Chipmunk, most likely. :sure: That is, when he can get his head out of his <censored>. :eek2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.