1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little fallout during Viacom dispute

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Few throw in Dish towel
    Network reports scant fallout from dispute with Viacom

By Chris Walsh, Rocky Mountain News
    March 23, 2004

Some consumers canceled installation appointments or switched to another provider.

Others frantically phoned retailers to ask questions or complain.

Most, however, waited out the storm.

Metro-area Dish Network retailers say they have seen little lasting fallout from the recent high-profile dispute between satellite-TV provider EchoStar Communications Corp. and CBS parent Viacom Inc.

Many consumers, it seems, already have forgotten the incident, in which Douglas County-based EchoStar was forced earlier this month to pull several popular channels including CBS and MTV from its Dish Network lineup for nearly 48 hours.

The dispute ended March 10 after the companies came to an agreement on a new contract.

"The effect on us was very minimal," said Damon Diamantaras, president of Texas-based Today's Satellite, a large national Dish Network retailer with an office in Golden. "Most people took the side that this was good for the customer, so they stuck with Dish Network."

Diamantaras said his company's sales volume dropped about 15 percent during the two days Dish Network subscribers lost channels.

Still, "we've recovered," he said. "It really hasn't impacted our business to where we have to be concerned about it."

Full Story

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Barely a blip on the DishNetwork radar. Just proves what I suspected all along - that the Viacon channels aren't really that important to most viewers. The few that may have switched due to the < 48 hr outage were silly for doing so.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Since March 10th I have installed 1 DISH system but I have reordered Directv equipment and most of my installs have been replacing existing DISH Network systems. Maybe the fact that news article was based in the Denver area has something to do with the results.

4. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I find it amusing that a few people always want Charlie to feel the pain when things like this come up. The facts speak for themselves. Dish, warts and all, still has a faster growth rate than either cabel or DirecTV. Rupert may changer that in the future, but one thing is for certain. As long as Charlie is at the helm you will see Dish duke it out and fight the good fight.

As was previously said, anyone who switched over this issue alone looks pretty stupid now.

5. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    I think it's way to early to determine the damage. I think the damage done to the perspective customer was far greater than the actual customer. This story was blown way out of control. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of NON-DISH subscribers who saw those banners STILL THINK that DISH DOESN'T HAVE THE VIACOM channels. I can't believe Charlie agreed to drop all lawsuits, unconditionally. He should've demanded that Viacom put in banners saying the channels were back on Dish or run ads in primetime. The damage in future sales in uncalculable.

6. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    It doesn't prove that at all. The people I know who have Dish (including myself) were giving them a few days to get the channels back on the air. And even if you wanted to switch right away, you couldn't get D* or cable installed before the dispute was over anway.

7. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I'd say that if TV Land and CMT had been cut off from the list of Viacom stations that people would have been even more angry. I know a lot of people like TV Land as well as CMT although GAC is becoming the more popular country music channel since they are sticking with a music based schedule. CMT is showing too much other types of programming and viewers want more music.

8. Randy_B

Randy_B Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Where is the thread where someone said I was nuts when I ventured that the turnover because of this would be invisible in the normal churn rates. I am not saying I am not nuts, just not on this one.

9. amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, changing providers isn't easy. Most people knew the Viacom dispute would be only for a couple of days. If it extended for a month, then you would see people disconecting. Also, a large number of DISH customers were also under contracts.

Also, unfortunately, cable does have a chance of winning out over DISH and DIRECTV. Comcast has started carrying international programming and in some areas in California's Bay Area have started offering 100% digital quality channels like the DISH w/ a new non-TV guide box w/ a DVR for the same price as DISH. Oh well. The areas where this is done, however, is very small.

It irritates that Comcast's expanded basic lineup is inconsistant between regions and thier prices aren't consistant, also.

10. benn5325

benn5325 AllStar

Mar 16, 2004
    I switched and I don't feel stupid. In fact I'm glad of the switch. Better, cheaper equipment, IMO better quality picture, I only need 1 dish to get all of the channels & their on-line account management is better.

11. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    What's all this about? I was on vacation for a couple weeks and watched more tv than usual, but didn't even notice a problem. Do remember my daughter fussing about something about nickelodeon one night, but the wife switched it over to toon disney, and she was fine. Didn't hear anything from the elderly inlaws either, and they even call us all confused when a new channel is added!!!!!

These channels are all duplicated so many times that there are plenty of alternatives.

12. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Which proves my point (notice I said "ALONE"). You switched because of better PQ, one-dish install, etc. If you had swiched ONLY because of the viacom spat then it was a rash, irattional reaction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.