1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live Buffer is lost if you watch a recorded show

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by BCole8888, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 14
    BCole8888

BCole8888 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    I noticed this weekend that everytime I come out of watching a recorded show that the live buffer on one of the tuners is always lost. Is this normal? I constantly switch between the two tuners and use the buffer to see what I have missed. Sometimes when I'm caught up on both or whatever I am watching gets boring I will watch a little recorded TV. I'm another person coming over from the D* HD Tivo and I'm used to both tuners having the buffer available. But it seems to only keep the one I wasn't watching when I went to the recorded show. Is this because I also and using the OTA?

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 14
    PanamaMike

PanamaMike AllStar

Mar 30, 2004
    Apparently so, this was one of my gripes. The Dish unit works differently from the TIVO. IMHO its not as good, but good nuf.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 14
    BCole8888

BCole8888 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Not the end of the world I guess. I can adjust by recording it. Another quick question then. If you switch to a show that has already started, but the whole show is in the buffer, does it not record the whole thing if you hit record?

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 14
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What you are saying is not possible. IF you switch to a show that has already started it cannot possibly be in the buffer.

The buffer starts when you switch to a channel... so if you switch to a channel at 8:05pm, then the show starting at 8:00pm cannot possibly be entirely in the buffer. You can record from the start of the buffer but it will not be the entire show.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 14
    scout12

scout12 Mentor

Mar 26, 2007
    I think what he is asking is if you turned to the channel at 8:00 and decided to record it at 8:10 the recording starts at 8:10 even though the first 10 minutes are in the buffer.

This is how the Dish software works. To get around it you just need to rewind to where you want the recording to start.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 14
    satkid12

satkid12 Cool Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I'm also a former TIVO user who is trying to get acclimated with the Dish DVR quirks as well... I missed some of the Bears game last night because of the buffer issue. It kind of sucks but I can live with it. I have no choice!

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 14
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC

Perhaps his question was just mis-worded... in which case, your answer is partially true. In lieu of rewinding to the start, you can also choose the "Options" selection when you hit record and as long as the channel was tuned when the program started you will have an option to record the entire program from the beginning.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 14
    satkid12

satkid12 Cool Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Shouldn't it just default to recording the entire program from the beginning? Wouldn't that be the simplest and easiest way to implement this?

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 14
    HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Not really, Say I am watching a channel for an hour and then a show comes on I want to record if I hit the record button I don't want it to record the whole buffer, just from the point where I hit the record button.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC

Hobbytalk hit it exactly.. Also, say you tuned at 8:00pm and two half-hour programs came on... and around 8:45pm you realize you wish you had recorded the 8:00pm program and the 8:30pm one... in this case you would want to go back and get both... not just the current.

So default being record from now is easy to remember. Record from beginning or extending ending time, for example, are best left as options when you press the record button.

11. BCole8888

BCole8888 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about having a one of the tuners tuned to say CBS. And I am watching something on the other tuner. I switch tuners to the one that is tuned to CBS. It has been on that channel for over an hour and the buffer is full. I switched at say 8:10 and decided I like the show that was on so I hit record. I am accustomed to my old Tivo grabbing the show from 8:00 on, but this box starts at where you are at, in this case 8:10. But I did discover you can just go backwards and hit record and it will start there. On the Tivo if I didn't want the whole show, I would just change the channel and come back so the buffer was gone. It's just a quirk I can learn to work around. I think the thing I am going to miss the most is the Tivo remote.

12. satkid12

satkid12 Cool Member

Sep 17, 2007
    This is why I feel it should always default to recording from the beginning of the buffer and not where you are currently at. It's hard to get used to this coming from TIVO.

13. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    The 622 definitely does things a little different. I Personally like the fact that when I hit the record button it starts to record at that point. In my opinion.. from the end users point of view that is the most logically. My time on TIVO is very limited but for me when I press rec and I am watching live I expect to start to record from that point. Perhaps I am in the minority but that is my expectation.

Based on your guys posts, definitely something to get use to here for sure and the 622 does have some nice feature in terms of going back and recording a shows that you are part way into. Takes some getting use, just like I am sure the TIVO channel trick was, but I am sure over time it will become more intuitive. At least it has for me.

14. alangant

alangant Cool Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I really like the ability to select exactly what you want to record. Sometimes I only want to grab a movie trailer (commercial) from within the buffer. This is easy with the 622: all I have to do is rewind to the start of the trailer, hit record, choose the manual option, FF to the end of the trailer and hit stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.