1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live Dual Buffers -- When?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jsg712, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsg712

jsg712 New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm hoping that all of this discussion about live Dual Buffers means this capability will soon be included in an update. Is there a possibility that the live Dual Buffer capability is going to be coming out in an upcoming software update? To me, not having this capability was the biggest disappointment in upgrading to the HR20.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There is no ETA on it.

3. banningview

banningview Banned User

Dec 13, 2006
    No ETA??? Not even 3, 6, 9, 12 months on the horizon? Not surprising...I've totally lost count of the updates. Are we past 20 yet? Let's get the RBRs down to less than say...3 a week.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Sure... I can say we will have Dual Buffers before the turn of next century.

Last time I checked, I have never said... "next release"... I have only said that the feature is still on the board... it hasn't not been officially ruled out.

So yes... there is no ETA...
    If you want me to make up a magical date... so you all have a point in time to get "ticked" because it was missed.... February 30th.

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I was hoping to have a DVR chip implanted in my head by that point so that I could Pause/FF/REW real life. :D

6. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Let's face it.

THey need to make the HR20's existing features and functionality stable and reliable before they start changing it or adding more features.

I mean, you can't always count on it to record your show...or play it back...or even view it live for that matter.

Those are pretty much the core expectations of a DVR. And the trick play time shifing features are pretty flaky too at this piont.

As much as I want DLBs, it would be remiss if D* didn't make the thing view, record and play reliably before they started revising product features and functionality.

So let's cheer for the "stability fixes" because until those are wrapped up DLBs are only a dream...a beautiful distant dream.

7. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Just curious but are there no other HD-DVR's out there that do what they are supposed to do reliably and incorporate DLB,s? It seems that we want to cut "D" a lot of slack and give them much credit for working day and night to correct multiple problems. They are not inventing the DVR concept here, it's been around for awhile.

8. jheda

jheda DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Earl, can you officially ask for an update on this issue? We are all working here wonderfully as a good partnership, maybe an unofficial its still on the board, and a hope to pay attention to it in the ____ timeframe, is a reasonable request? The record reflects i query you about this no more then every month or 2....

Thanks

PS im busy feb30th, hows april 31st:lol:

PSS - itll also shut sockmonkey jayw and me up for a while!! :)

9. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    YES! February 30th! Adding that date to Outlook now. ;)

10. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    To me no DLB is kind of a bummer but I wouldn't go as far as to call it a big disappointment. It's no biggie. If we get it one day we get it, if not, oh well.

11. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I agree with the sentiment that enabling DLB would be considered adding another "new feature" while existing issues are still waiting to be resolved. However, DirecTV could maybe convert a few more HR10 users over to the HR20 by enabling it. I know many people who won't get the HR20 solely because it lacks DLB - they use it primarily for sports events, and for them, it's a deal-breaker not to have it.

If you build it, they will come? ;)

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Can you? That means it will get done sometime. Are you leaking something?

:)

13. banningview

banningview Banned User

Dec 13, 2006
    Seriously, don't they have a list of features and when they will be enabled? Don't they have a plan, or are they just shelving it until "one day."

14. jheda

jheda DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Moreover, nontechies like me assumed ALL DVRS would have it and when i upgraded from my r10 like an idiot i thought it was broken until i understood the feature better.......i cant be alone in that regard....

15. jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Are you kidding? It will just fire me up more!!!!

no not really - I have a feeling Earl doesn't need an update - It's not that he doesn't know - it's that he can't say.

16. SuperTech1

SuperTech1 Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    (In Jim Carrey voice) So you're telling me there's a chance!!;)

17. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Ditto.. with baseball season coming up, I used to use my R10 (Tivo) to monitor 2 games at a time during commercials. Can't do it with the HR20 until a DLB feature is enabled. For me, I would characterize the lack of DLB as a disappointment based upon how I use my DVR.

I would also agree that D* must have a list of features it plans on implementing or enabling for the HR20. I would also expect this info to be top secret however within D*.

18. sbray

sbray New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    When introducing a next version of a product it is always prudent not to remove any feature/functionaitty that customers adopt. I view this as bad product/program mgmt and lack of due dillegence in requirements setting for the roll out of the product.

19. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    Ok, Harley, first give me points because I actually do still read you ;)

And now you just specify for me all the reasons why we SHOULD get DLB by Feb. 30 (oh come on now, Earl!). The HR20 does "view, record and play reliably".
    :lol: :lol: :lol: at least for me...:p

Edit: Re-reading, that plays back like a taunt which I didn't intend. It just struck me that you really did describe the situation for many of us with 12a. I do realize that it's not true for all. But it is definitely getting better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.