1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live in Minnesota, Indians-O's Blacked Out on MLB?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by chris83, Jun 27, 2013.

1. chris83

chris83 Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    Tuned to channel 152 to watch some of the Cleveland-Baltimore game on MLB Network: "This program is not available for viewing in your area".

Huh? :confused:

2. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    It's on here. 1-0 Cleveland in the 2nd inning.

3. chris83

chris83 Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm guessing it's just a glitch, but it IS a puzzler

4. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    well MLB blackout rules for national televised games for local teams only applies if the local team is playing on a national cable network in which is also covered by local RSN or Local broadcast TV channel, chances are, the local channels get first rights in that market so you won't get the national broadcasted version of the game (in MLB Channel's case, it would be a simulcast of the local coverage for one of the teams playing). instead check your local RSN/broadcast channel.

example, a Texas Rangers game would be nationally televised on ESPN, but it's also airing on FSN Southwest. so FSN Southwest would be the only place to watch the game due to the blackout rule.

Edit: also i don't know why but they determine the MLB alternate/main channel by area/region and treat it as your local team for this time only.

5. chris83

chris83 Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    Now, tonights Colorado-Arizona game is blacked out here in Minnesota; this doesn't make any sense. :nono2:

6. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    You are most likely getting Angels/Red Sox on the MLB Network alt channel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using DBSTalk mobile app

7. chris83

chris83 Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    So, my region of the country would be slated to receive the Angels-Red Sox game and THAT would be on the alternate channel?

8. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    This is not a glitch and not technically a blackout.

In most time slots, MLBN produces two games, and the viewer gets one of those, supposedly based on which is of local interest. On cable, the system will simply deliver whichever feed of MLBN to whatever channel the cable company has assigned MLBN to, so the viewer never notices. However DBS cannot work like that, so there are two MLBN channels. On DISH, the main 152 and the alt feed on 478. On DirecTV the main feed on 213 and the alt on 214. When the game for your area is on the alt feed, you will see a "blackout" on the main channel, but the alt channel will have a game on it. The alternate games are, in fact, the only thing that is ever on the alt feeds.

Similar thing happens with ESPN college football, which goes regional, and thus has to use an alt channel.