1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live install report 8/21/2010

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by grecorj, Aug 21, 2010.

1. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Installer is here ... within promised window of 8-12...

Seems like he know what he's talking about ... we walked around and I showed him everything ... has ICK...

Big question of the day:

ME: So what model receivers do you have?

HIM: The 24s ... much easier for Whole Home install.

Woo-hoo!

Only negative so far...dish has to go on top of roof (old dish was mounted to the side of house). Oh well. Told him to not make it leak!

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Congratulations!!
    Keep us updated.

3. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Dish up...Slimline 3LNB with SWM...

I can confirm 1 HR24 box and 1 H24 box in the house right now...waiting to see 1 more HR24 box before I get too excited...

I see DECA, PI, green label splitters ... all very exciting and going according to plan so far!

I'm unhooking my old DTiVos right now...a sad day! I'll miss them...but am looking forward to HD!

4. fvmojoman

fvmojoman Cool Member

Nov 2, 2006
    I am also upgrading to MRV today and the installer is here, but all the guy has is the original hr-20-700's which sucks!!

He said the newer ones were hard to come by. Is this normal??

5. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    All equipment here ... 2 HR24s and 1 H24 ... hooking up now... hooking up ICK now too.

6. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Installer left at noon..was here approx 2.5 hrs.

HR24s and HR24 installed...

MRV working...

On Demand working...

Signals look great...

Installer did terminate all unused connections on splitter in basement...w/o me having to ask....

Took old dish...again, didn't have to ask...

Couldn't be happier...a great experience...time to play with my boxes... :D

7. CougarCruiser

CougarCruiser Cool Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Awesome! Glad it worked out for you!

8. Bigwayne13

Bigwayne13 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Still waiting on my installer to arrive, new install, window 12-4.....

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    See!!! There are good stories out there!!!

10. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Yup, there are.

Installer did reiterate what others have reported ... shortage of HD equipment ... luck of draw if they have 24s on any given day.

Very pleased with speed/quietness of HR24s.

Remotes are going to take some getting used to for sure ... old TiVo peanut remote was awesome, no comparison there.

Loving features I was missing w/DTiVos tho ... multi room, on demand, even little things like the pop-up sports scoreboard.

11. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Quick update:

It has been 2 days and everything is still working great!

The remote for the receiver (H24) & tv in the office (Insignia 4:3 720p 20in LCD) wasn't turning the unit on & off (volume was working). Had a little frustration as I found the model # listed in the receiver remote set-up screen, but wasn't programming the remote correctly. Did a quick search and found an Insignia code that did work finally -- I emailed to code to myself for future reference!

Turned on RF for the family room remote, works great.

Have been playing with On Demand, scheduling recordings, etc.

Noticed my caller id had stopped working on the HR24 in the family room so I did a soft reset last night as I've read on these boards that it can clear up that problem. CID working on the other units.

One thing ... guide data is not filling in very quickly ... still gaps in guide data as of last night. I know with the DTiVos that it took a day or so to acquire a full 12 days worth of guide data.

I've been using the H24 to set up season passes (oops, old TiVo language there) b/c I can split them up between the 2 DVRs to maximize tuners/space.

Smart Search is neat, still trying to retrain my WishList brain.

The HR24s are super quiet ... my DTiVos were always clicky clacky, even after upgrading hard drives several times ...

My wife is happy that the remote now correctly controls the volume on our bedroom tv ... could never find a code for the old TiVo remote so you could hold down volume button and have it keep going up/down.

Was watching True Blood on HBO last night...my tv was saying it was coming thru at 720p? Is that correct? I thought HBO was in 1080i? Perhaps I have tv setting wrong?

All in all, I'm very happy with the new boxes from DTV ... I'm still going to get the HD DTiVo when it comes out (please!), but the experience has been good so far. Compared to the HD DVRs from the cable company, these boxes are great.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You probably have the DVR set to output 720P since that's the native resolution for your TV.

13. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Menu -> Parental/Favs/Setup -> System Setup -> HD ->

Is native on? If it isn't the receiver is probably set to 720p. There is a Res button on the front of the receiver. That is the easiest way to bump it up to 1080i. However the receiver will now up convert any 720p stations to 1080i (ESPN)

Native will auto switch resolutions to match the channel, however changing channels takes significantly longer.