1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Living legend" announcers on ESPN baseball

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by John Corn, May 26, 2003.

1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    This is a neat idea ESPN is implementing this season. A number of legendary play-by-play voices (past and present) will be working as guest announcers on the network's Wednesday night telecasts.

Couple of nights ago they had Curt Gowdy working the Yanks/Red Sox game. Future telecasts will feature the Reds' Marty Brennaman, the Phillies' Harry Kalas, ABC's Keith Jackson (this doesn't excite me as much, as IMO Jackson was always pretty mediocre on baseball), and--most eagerly anticipated by this Detroiter--Ernie Harwell. Hall of Famers all.

Other announcers are planned to be named later. Hopefully we'll see Vin Scully, Herb Carneal, and Bob Murphy added to the list.

2. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    While this is a neat idea, I wish they would implement it on Sunday nights instead of Wednesdays. The blackout on Wednesdays is keeping the fans who would be most interested from seeing the legendary announcers. I would have loved to have heard Curt Gowdy, but, of course, the game was blacked out in the Boston market.

3. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    Why would they pick on a restaurant like that?

:)

4. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Ernie Johnson Sr. Would be a good announcer for ESPN to try and get to announce a game. Maybe if ESPN was doing a Braves game one night.

5. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I have never been a fan of Curt or Harry. (IMO, Harry's best doing NFL Films narration)