1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LNB and SWM Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by jmols, May 14, 2012.

1. jmols

jmols New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Can someone describe the differences between the available programming on a 3LNB dish vs. a 5LNB dish?

What is the maximum tuners a SWM Dish can support? How about a non-SWM Dish?

I'm looking to upgrade to WHDVR and adding four HD recievers to my HR20-700 and I'm trying to understand if a dish swap will be required.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The 5 LNB is now mostly for those markets that still have their SD locals on the 119 SAT.
    There are a few other channels, but most customers don't watch them.
    Maybe someone can take the times to list these for you.

SWiM is based off of 8 tuners, so whether you have a SWiM LNB or a SWM8, they are limited to eight. When you have more than eight, there is a SWiM-16, with two outputs, so you can connect eight to each.
    A non SWiM LNB has only four outputs, so for more than this you need a multi-switch. You can split the LNB coax to feed more than one switch, but at some point you'll need an amp to overcome the losses of the splitters.

WHDVR uses a coax networking [DECA] which needs to be on a SWiM so the frequencies it uses are free.

3. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    119 has mostly local sd channels, many Spanish channels, and the Now Network, the Hope Channel, and Jewish Life TV. There are also a few Sonic Tap stations there.

4. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    In your case, the HR20 will use 2 tuners + four HD receivers means you will be using 6 tuners. A SWM lnb (8 tuner max) is the easiest way to go. If you already have the HD Slimline dish, swapping the lnb would give you SWM capability.

:)

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    An SWM LNB can support 8 tuners maximum. To go higher you must use a non-SWM dish with an external multiswitch (SWM or non). There are both 3LNB and 5LNB conventional and SWM LNB's. The 5 LNB version will receive the 119 satellite. So 119 can be had either way if you want/need it.

As to the maximum number of tuners a non-SWM dish can support, probably way more than you will ever need. You can easily support two or more SWM16 multiswitches (32 or more tuners).

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And some channels for Chinese programming.

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    So I pulled out all the currently active CONUS channels from gct's spreadsheet that come from 119. You can see all of the data including LiL stuff from gct's thread at the top of the forum.

8. jmols

jmols New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the wealth of information.

I really appreciate it!!

Jeff

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Also DIRECTV places its early bird Christmas music mix from Sonic Tap (last year titled "Holidays and Happenings!") first on 119 usually around Nov. 1, then mirrors it later on 101 after Thanksgiving until just after Christmas.