1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

LNB Changeout For HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mattyq, Mar 19, 2013.

1. mattyq

mattyq Cool Member

Jul 6, 2009
    All,

These may be VERY basic questions as the technology changes wizz by me. I have a SLIMLINE 5 dish with the old 5 LNB system with 4 outputs (I believe).

Can I switch the LNB only out for a DIRECTV SL3-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Triple LNB With Built-In Multiswitch?

If so, do I then run the one single wire into the house and split from there with a 4/8 way splitter. WHere does the power supply fit in the loop?

I am hopeful I do not need to put up a new dish.

Also, both of my HD PVRs currently use B-Band converters. Will I still need to have them on those HD sets?

As always, thanks for any and all info!!

Q

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    need to know models of your DVRs

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  4. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Yes the dishes are the same and the LNB can be swapped.

That is usually how it is done. A single cable to a central distribution point were you have a splitter. Just remember each DVR is 2 Tuners and the SWiM supports a max of 8 tuners total so you can't run 8 DVRs with an 8 way splitter. The power supply can be pretty much anywhere you just need to ensure that the cable it is attached to is on a power passing port on the splitter.

BBC's are not needed on any receivers when using SWiM and have to be removed or the boxes won't work with the SWiM system..

P Smith is right that you need to make sure that ALL of your boxes support SWiM as there is no way to support legacy boxes on a SWiM LNB. Using a SWiM8 you could support legacy boxes.

5. mattyq

mattyq Cool Member

Jul 6, 2009
    My two receivers are an HR21 and HR24

6. mattyq

mattyq Cool Member

Jul 6, 2009
    My two receivers are an HR21 and HR24

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    You're good to go then, as both those models are SWiM capable. In fact all DIRECTV HD receivers, STB and DVR alike are SWiM capable with the exception of the old obsolete 10-250 HD-TIVOs which can't receive any HD programming today anyhow.

8. mattyq

mattyq Cool Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Thanks to everyone who helped. I have made my order through AMAZON.