1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LNB Output Failure 99(b) Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ken S, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I was hooking up a new receiver today and got an LNB Output failure on the system test. I tried re-doing satellite setup and the test failed on 99(b). When I look at signal on that satellite it appears I'm getting signal (high 70s to high 80s) on the first few even transponders and 0 on the odd transponders.

I went over to another HR20 which I had installed a couple of months ago without issue and ran the test it also failed on LNB Output.

All of the channels I should get...are coming in fine.
    Signal strength on all of the other satellites are mind 90s and above.

I have tried switching cables and checking the connections on my powered multi-switch and all are tight.

Dish is a Slimline
    Multiswitch is Zinwell 616
    Zip Code here: 33445

Any thoughts?

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Can you get other satellites? Were you able to get 99b before? Usually if the LNB fails, all satellites will fail I think. Make sure you have the latest firmware after initial install so the HR20 can see that satellite.

It it's not an alignment issue, and the LNB is defective, DirecTV should replace it for you.

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    All the other satellites come in without a problem. All channels I should receive come in fine.

I have the latest CE firmware on all of the HR20s and NR on our All-in-One Sat/LCD unit.

Signal Strength on 99b looks like this on both tuners

1 - 8 0 79 0 79 0 83 N/A N/A

4. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    It appears the LNB is fine, just because you get 0 on certain transponders doesn't mean it's not working. If you getting all the channels you are subscribed to, then don't worry about those readings. 0 on a transponder just means it is not available in your market area, or not turned on. Has nothing to do with you.

Remember you take risks by doing CE, DBStalk gave plenty of caution before participating in testing.

5. Dr. Booda

Dr. Booda Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    Ken,

I have the exact same issue with my HR20-100 running the latest CE. It fails the startup test, but everything still works. My other HR-700 shows no problems at all, so this has to be a CE bug with the -100 units. :confused:

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Don't worry about the LNB test failing - it does that quite often. Until recently, I had one HR20 that regularly failed the lnb output test, but as long as you're seeing the sats you should, it's no big deal.

Also, when going through the guided "satellite setup" it's not uncommon for the signal test to fail on 99(a) or 103(b). As long as you get signals on the necessary transponders during a signal test, you're ok.

Bottom line is if you're getting all your channels, you're ok on the basic setup.

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I'm not complaining about this issue...just trying to figure out what the cause is and if it's something I can correct.

8. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    As far as I know, there's nothing you can do to correct this. Either the unit passes the lnb test or not (actually, the latest software release should correct the lnb test issue, or at least result in passing the test on a 2nd or 3rd attempt). I haven't gone through the initial satellite setup since I got my units, but the general work around was to ignore the error on 99 and/or 103 and confirm the signals once up and running.

9. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    say-what,

Thanks, I just ran the test on other HR20s here and it passed. Went back to the other units that had failed and they passed as well. I guess threatening to swap in my old multiswitch frightened them into submission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.