1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local 72 Dish Swap and Receiver Replacement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jbwjbw, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jbwjbw

jbwjbw Cool Member

Apr 29, 2008
    So I'm schedule to get my two dishes replaced with one. The guy from DTV says both my receivers need or should be replaced and he's placed an order to that effect. Both are newer and are both SWM compatible. My DVR is the R16-300 for example. Why would they replace the R16-300, it's SWM compatible and not all that old?

I'm 98% sure I'll loose what I have recorded on my current DVR if they swap it out at the time of the dish replacement correct? e.g. there is no copy the tech can do a copy from the R16 to whatever they replace it with correct? That bites as I have stuff I've not yet watched.

- Justin

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You're right Justin, there is no way to copy stuff over to the new dvr. If you have a DVD burner and time handy you can hook that up to the R16 and burn the stuff you want to save to DVD.

3. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    It's not mpeg4 capabable, and that's what you'll need to get your locals.:)

4. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    The SWM has nothing to do with this - your locals are transitioning to MPEG4, of which the ONLY SD DVR that will work on those is the R22...

5. jbwjbw

jbwjbw Cool Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Ok, I thought maybe a R16-30 was MPEG4, I figured they would not make a new receiver that had SWM and was not MPEG4. Thanks for the clarification!

- Justin