1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Local and regional popularity of DirecTV vs. Dish

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Pink Jazz, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Mentor

Jan 1, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    In your area, which satellite TV provider seems to be more popular: DirecTV or Dish Network?

Where I currently live (Gilbert, Arizona), DirecTV seems to be more popular since I have seen more houses with DirecTV dishes than those with Dish Network dishes. Interestingly, where I previously lived (Rio Rancho, New Mexico), Dish Network seemed to be more popular there.

2. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    For a while Dish was more popular simply because they had locals before DirecTV. And they were slightly cheaper.

I think DirecTV has closed the gap and maybe even overtaken Dish simply due to having more HD programming at a time when people were buying their first HDTV. Cable had next to nothing and Dish was behind DirecTV so people went with DirecTV.

In my neighborhood, DirecTV has at 4-1 advantage over Dish.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I think it definitely depends on the type of community you live in/near. I think at times Dish is considered cheaper, so that makes a difference to some.

4. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

It depends what type of HD you want,DISH has more basic channels in HD,where DirecTV has more sports and Premium channels in HD.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=196101

5. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    That is NOW. In my post I specifically said "at a time".

6. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    That is correct I was only pointing out the differences today,but I can say DirecTV is adding basic channel HD faster than DISH is lately.;)

7. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

When you use DISH's Duo DVRs for 2 TVs it is,but that is only if you have a HDTV and a SDTV.If you need HD for two HDTV,then I believe DISH is more expensive.But then you can transform a DISH's VIP211k into a HDDVR with a one time $40. fee when you hookup a EHD.A VIP211k has one satellite tuner and one OTA tuner:)

8. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Mentor

Jan 1, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yep, in Rio Rancho (and the Albuquerque market in general), Dish had local channels 3 years before DirecTV did (Dish in 2001, DirecTV in 2004). Also, in the Albuquerque area, existing DirecTV customers were required to upgrade to the 3-LNB oval multi-satellite dish to get locals, and I believe the 5-LNB slimline or sidecar dish is required for the HD locals there (both of which were typical for small to mid-size local markets).

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Unless they've changed it again, Dish moved our SD locals to a satellite that is behind the hills for a lot of people, and many of them switched to DirecTV at that time. Dish seemed to be the leader before then.

It seems to be about 50/50 now. As far as HD customers, I see more DirecTV HD dishes.