1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Channel Issues

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by wal5907, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 8, 2006 #1 of 11
    wal5907

wal5907 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the 622 and receiving local channels with an off-air antenna. I seem to get a lot less channels when I run a local channel search than I did with my 921. I am using the same rooftop mounted antenna that I used with the 921.

The local channels that I do get also lose signals every 10 minutes or so. the strength meters are usually around 85-90. When the same antenna was hooked up to the 921, the strengths of these channels were always over 100.

This does not seem right for an "upgraded" box. Could this unit be defective ?

Thanks for your help and input !!

Chuck

2. Nov 8, 2006 #2 of 11
    mdewitt

mdewitt AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    I have the same problem. My signal strength is always around 80 but it loses the signal about every minute. When I had the same antenna connected directly to my TV, the signal did not cut out at all.

I may be having multi-path (I think that's the right word) issues also since my signal seemed stronger when my antenna was lying on the ground than it is with the antenna on the roof. I did aim the antenna properly with antennaweb.org

3. Nov 8, 2006 #3 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Have you taken into account that the ViP622 tunes only ATSC channels???

The 921 tunes both NTSC and ATSC channels.

4. Nov 8, 2006 #4 of 11
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The direction on antennaweb.org is a starting point. As with satellite dishes, you have to "peak" an OTA antenna to give the best signal.

Know that the antennaweb.org azimuth numbers are compensated for declination.

5. Nov 8, 2006 #5 of 11
    wal5907

wal5907 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I am not real technical with these issues but I am using a Winegard MS 2000 Metrostar Omnidirectional Amplified Antenna. I have not changed anything but the satellite box. None of the channels I am trying to access are more than 30 miles and most are under 10 miles.

6. Nov 8, 2006 #6 of 11
    ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    You might try it without the amp. Sometimes you are just amplifing the noise. The OTA tuner in the 622 is actually a pretty good one.

7. Nov 8, 2006 #7 of 11
    boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    The 921 is more adaptable for digital channels that are not providing correct PSIP information for channel mapping. The 921 will use the native channel and will provide audio and video. The 622 was designed after the PSIP law went into effect. The 622 does not work with a digital channel if the channel is having PSIP channel mapping problems. The receiver will see the signal but will not acquire/lock.

You may wish to go to the Local Channels (MENU > 6 > 9) and use the "Add Locals." Enter the native digital channel to see if:
    1. It displays a red signal bar
    2. It displays a green bar but shows "0" for the channel number.

If either 1 or 2 apply, then you will know that the signal is present but that there is something wrong with TV stations digital transmission. If either are true, then you should contact the affected TV station to let them know that there is a problem.

8. Nov 8, 2006 #8 of 11
    debpasc

debpasc Legend

Oct 20, 2005
    I have the same issue. My OTA roof antenna picked up all stations with my 921 but only a handful (none of the major networks) with the 622. The installer couldn't figure it out and I decided I could live without the OTA anyway. Up until now, the 622 had been performing pretty much perfectly -- only some minor issues -- so the underperforming OTA antenna wasn't a problem. Now I am having the green blocking, audio weirdness, etc. that others are having with the Dish HD locals and wishing the OTA stations were available to me. Think I need to get the installer back out here? Imagine it will be on my dime since it's my OTA antenna.

9. Nov 8, 2006 #9 of 11
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Have you been to Antennaweb.org to find what OTA channel they are using for the digital local? You can go to the screen to add a channel manually and enter the channel and see if you get signal strength and/or a lock. Picking the wrong OTA channel for TV2's output will wipe out one digital OTA station.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You don't have to "aim" an omnidirectional antenna. Omni is Latin for all.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just consider it "reorientating". I've aimed a few omnis in the past couple of years ... an antenna may be designed to be omni, but when you get it in place the structure you mount it to slightly changes the pattern. The antenna designers can work around the structure, but they need to know exactly what the structure is before they work around it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.