1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

local channel pro sports

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by AkScott, May 1, 2004.

1. AkScott

AkScott Cool Member

Oct 18, 2003
    In Anchorage, the local ABC station often goes against
    what is shown on ABC's coverage map for Alaska and decides to show west coast sports games, over the marquee games.

This can be kind of irrating since often times I don't know what game will be on, or they'll list one in the tv guide and show another, sometimes even starting one and switching 5 minutes in :mad:

If I were to sign up for local channels (I'm on dish network, but get these stations in pretty well on the antenna) would I get the regular national feed sports listed on ABC's coverage map, or still whatever the local decides to carry?

2. james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    dish carries locals into your market by setting up an antenna in the area, and sending that signal back to their uplink center, where they digitally encode it and transmit it to the satellite. Anchorage locals are available on dish network, and it will be the *exact* same thing that you are receiving OTA, so yes, it will still switch games 5 minutes in if your local station is doing that. This is the sort of problem you might have some luck with calling the local ABC station or sending them e-mail, as you're probably not the only one in the area irritated by their handling of sports.

3. AkScott

AkScott Cool Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Thanks James

4. wTXbrown

wTXbrown New Member

May 8, 2004
    AkScott,
    You might check out the address broker on E's website and see if you qualify for Distant Networks. If you just want ABC then you can get up to two for $1.50 each. All 4 networks cost $5.99. (Even if you do not qualify at your primary address, you can do a search at this site for a discussion about "moving".)

Good luck.

http://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/nqCustomerLocalsCheck.jsp