1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Channels Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by scarylibrary23, Jan 27, 2009.

1. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    I've been having issues with local channels on my DVR R15-300 being different from what they suppose to be. EX: NBC is WE TV and so on. But if i switch the cables from tuner 1 to tuner 2 they come back on. But after I turn the receive off and back on it goes back out. Directv has been out once but didnt fix it. Second one coming out thursday. Just wondering it any one knows what the issue is.

2. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Ok, your post is a tiny bit confusing. So when you turn on your receiver and try to view local NBC, you get Women's Entertainment. However, if you switch the two satellite inputs, it works correctly? Try recording something on WE and then try to tune NBC. Better yet, record something on WE and NBC at the same time, and see what happens. On the face of it, either one of the tuners in the DVR is bad or the switch/LNB is bad. Did it work properly before and then just out of the blue stop working, or has it been like this all the time? because it could also be an improperly split cable.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    If I understand correctly, you are saying if your local NBC is on say channel 4, you tune to channel 4 and you get the WE channel. Is this right?

Is this just the channel logos or the actual content?

Mike

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm going to move this to the SD DVR forum.

5. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm thinking it probably says NBC, has the NBC logo, and has the current NBC guide data..just the video and audio content is WE. I'd be willing to bet that WE is on the same TP/Polarity as his local NBC, just on a different satellite, or perhaps the opposite polarity and the LNB or switch isn't giving him the correct signal.

6. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    All my locals are different channels. One is even a ppv channel. my other receiver works fine. But it isnt a dvr just a basic receiver.

7. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Do you know the details of the dish? Do you have a dish with four outputs on it? do they go into a switch, or do they go directly from the dish to each receiver? Does the dish only have one output that is split? It really sounds like the LNB or switch is bad and just isn't switching to a different satellite or polarity when the DVR requests it.

Try taking your non DVR receiver to where the DVR is at, connect it to each line at that location, and see if it still happens. That'll isolate it to a particular output from the dish or to the DVR itself.

8. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    It has four outputs that runs in to a switch.

9. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Then it sounds like the switch is possibly bad. Try either taking the non DVR to the location where the DVR is at and try tuning all of the locals, and then try tuning some national channels (like CNN and even WE) and then back to the locals. Do that for each connection that normally goes into the DVR. If you don't have any problems on either one, the DVR has a bad tuner. If you DO have problems then the switch is the most likely culprit.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Is is possible to switch the DVR inputs to different connections on the switch?

This may help to isolate the problem to the switch.

Mike

11. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    i plugged in the cables to the standard receiver and worked fine. let it run about 30 minutes for each one.

12. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    then that sounds like a bad tuner on the DVR, if connecting each line that goes to the DVR works fine on the other receiver, then you almost definitely have a bad tuner in the DVR.

13. mgmrick

mgmrick AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    I had this problem. I had a bad switch

14. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I have two multiswitches piggybacked (not a good thing) and this happens sometimes to me in cold weather.

Which tends to point toward the OP's switch as the issue.

15. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    well directv came out today and decided it was a bad receiver. i now have a
    r15 - 500 from a r15- 300. So far so good.

16. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    If a new receiver fixed your problem, it could have been corrupted "mapping" information stored in the receiver or a power supply problem sending the wrong voltage to your multiswitch.

In any event, good luck with the new DVR! :)