1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Channels (non HD) issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CroMacster, Nov 9, 2008.

1. CroMacster

CroMacster New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I do not revieve my locals in HD yet but some shows are offered in Letterbox format (mainly on NBC). When this first started I was able to view these shows in LB. Now when shows are listed as LB format they show up in 4:3 aspect ratio while cutting off the sides of the show.

I've tried changing the format types, but it just resizes the current picture.

Any input on how I could resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Directv has been switching to pick up digital local signals in place of analog for SD locals. Perhaps they initially used letterbox in your area and switched to 4:3 center-cut (cropping the edges). The Seattle locals have been shown in this format since Directv transitioned the pickup to digital in September.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    He may be receiving his locals with an MPEG4 receiver since his can change the format. Probably getting the HD feeds.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Locals in HD for his area aren't yet carried by Directv, so it would either be the SD feed or OTA.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I thought it may be an SD feed via D10/D11 in MPEG4 with a new SD MPEG4 tuner.