1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local channels numbers

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Link, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Shouldn't the local channel packages come in from 2-69 on their actual local channel? Mine do but some relatives of ours have St. Louis locals and they were just in the 8000s instead of being in the 2-69 area. Is there a reason why??

2. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Not all receivers have this feature.

3. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    John ment - Not all models of receivers...

for example - 2700s, 3900s, 4900s, etc - Do
    but - 1000s, 2200s, 3000s 4000s, etc - Don't

4. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004

The receivers they have is the DVR 510, 508 and the 3900. They just got them a few months ago.

5. IanF

IanF AllStar

Jan 13, 2004
    I've got a DP 501 and the locals map correctly to 2-69 as of about 6-12 months ago. It's a great feature and not having it bugged the heck out of me when I first got the 501.

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    What about the 522? Do the Superstations map to local channel # or if I get a waiver for say Atlanta.. will I get their local channel numbers?

My locals should be up in April... so I'm not too worried about it.

7. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    no
    Superstations are in 230-239

Any distants are in the 8000's (except for NY & LA Big 4..they are in 240-250 along with the 8000's)

8. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Not sure then...
    Maybe their locals are not available then or something..
    Or some other discrepancy..
    I d tell them to call Dish.. / Technical support .. / Installer/dealer etc.. - to resolve the problem..

9. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Could they be using a Favorites list? The channels should show on "All Channels" and "All Subscribed."

10. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    I know of the cause for some reason there blackout string has been corrupted. Dishnetwork needs to rehit there card with all the information. The blackout string is what controls wiether or not locals show up in there broadcast numbers providing you have a capable reciver.
    lets say the for some reason i did not have a completely FFFFFFFFFFFFFFf out balckour string and tampa locals tier. NO channel remaping but if you then take that string and set it for the tampa market blackout string the channels will appear inthe guide under the broadcast numbers and in the 8000s or 9000 depending on where you locals sit.

11. Really Confused

Really Confused Registered User

Feb 25, 2004

Huh? I have no idea what you just tried to say.

12. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    ok maybe if I break it down.

Every access card has a blackout string identifing it regional market. Like if you even seen you can not view this program because it has been blackout in your area. Might see this on sport games when not enough tickets are sold to local game. This string is also what tells the recivers how to remap the locals from the 8000/9000s to local broadcast numbers example Tampa Florida WFLA 8692 remaps to channel 8.

Sometimes the blackout string does not get written to the card. (especially with new activations) and the card is left with the default hex value instead of F7F7F7F7F7F7F7F7F7 instead of the apporite black out string. which would vary depending on your regional market.

All the blackout string does for the reciever is let it know which market it is in so It cna pull the apporite local information as far as the channel numbers go.

Sorry I am getting too over your head learn how to understand the nagravision system and the recivers that dish puts out... You be amazed how much learn about these kind of things.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    BTW: The local channel numbers are part of the service description table included on every active transponder. Each market is also assigned a number. It doesn't have anything to do with the scrambling, just the internal logic of what channels to display. Just call Dish -- they will resend the codes to turn on the mapping.

JL

14. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    As was stated above, it is the last byte of the blackout string which determines how the receiver maps local channels into your local channel range. I.e. it uses this to determine your geographic region or DMA, and hence which channels in the 7000-9000 range should be re-mapped to the standard local numbers.

15. Really Confused

Really Confused Registered User

Feb 25, 2004

Believe me; you are not "getting too over" my head.

There is not one single intelligible English sentence in your post. Try using correct sentence structure, a little punctuation and maybe even spell the occasional word correctly.

You may be very knowledgeable about Satellite TV, but you are not communicating anything useful.

16. waltinvt

waltinvt Godfather

Feb 9, 2004
    Stonecold,

"really confused" is right, you may need to proof read your posts a little. You're diminishing the credability of what you say by how you're saying it.

Walt

17. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    AHAHA - last few posts are funny ;)

18. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The supers always apper in the 230s. WTBS is NOT a supesrstation BTW. If you live in the Atlanta DNA you do get a WTBS at 17 but it si somewhat different. WGN in Chicago is no longer considered a superstation either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.