1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Local Channels - Odd Situation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jasjar, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasjar

jasjar New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    I live in an area where the city that my zip code relates to is in a different county than where my physical address is located.

For example, my zip is 35552 which is Detroit, AL. Detroit, AL is located in Lamar County. My physical address is in Marion County.

Marion County residents get local channels from Birmingham, AL. Lamar County residents (they think I am one) get local channels from Tupelo/Columbus, MS.

Is there anything I can do to get my local channels from Birmingham, AL?

Thanks!

2. davidrumm

davidrumm Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    Call them and have them change the county in their system. If it does go by county then with the correct county listed it should give you the correct locals.

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    This is not directly addressing your DirecTv situation, but when I moved into my house 13 years ago, I was in the same situation. The zip code was 55107 which is assigned to St. Paul, MN (Ramsey County).

My house is located in Dakota County. By the time I had moved in, the people here were already working with the Post Office (or whatever entity has that resposibility) to get the zip code for this small area changed to 55118, which is West St. Paul (totally different city than St. Paul and located in Dakota County).

Kind of nice because it also lowered my auto insurance as 55118 was less of a risk area than 55107.

Don't know how viable that is, but I always use the Dakota County versus Ramsey County when there is a misunderstanding.

I was always under the impression that D* worked off of zip coeds, but that's not based on anything that I could stand on.

Good luck - sorry I can't be of help.

4. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    D* does work off Zip codes, but recognizes that they often span multiple counties that may comprise different DMAs.

5. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes, and make sure the agent puts the county in for you as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.