1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local HD football "blurry"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by llcamino, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llcamino

llcamino New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    I'm new to Direct TV (installer was at house till 3am last week) and I tried the search forum, but I never have much luck there.

My question is this:

I'm watching a preseason football game on my Local CBS HD channel. The signal is clear, but when the players run, everything becomes blurry....not pixelated.....just blurry. All other HD channels appear to be fine, and when CBS goes to commercial, faster action in the commercial looks fine. Is this a problem with CBS's broadcast, or is this what I can expect from Direct TV.

Thanks for any help, and I apologize for not being able to find this in search forum.

2. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Is this off of an antenna to a HR10-250 or H20, or sat to a HR20?

3. llcamino

llcamino New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Sat to HR20.....I'm pretty sure.

4. terrapin

terrapin AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    HR20 in Delaware?

5. llcamino

llcamino New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Correction....it's an H20. As far as the dish is concerned, it's the oval shaped HD dish....that's about all that I know, other than the fact that the football game on the local CBS HD looked terrible.

6. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Ok, then you are very unlikely referring to an antenna. You must then be referring to a local in local (LIL) HD feed from DirecTV. In that case, it is dependent on the signal that is passed on to DirecTV.

Although, you may want to check into how others in your DMA think about the signal. An email to DirecTV can be of assistance if the signal passed to them (i.e., it would effect everyone getting that CBS local from DTV) as they do try to improve upon the signal quality whenever reasonable.

Lastly, sounds like the feed from the stadium "could" be the culprit (or more likely something in between your local and the feed from the event) as the commercials, which are placed at your local affiliate, looked fine. In that case, a call/email to your local affiliate may provide the fastest explanation as to what was the problem.

7. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    If he's got the oval shaped dish is that the triple LNB? Is that's the case he'd be pulling the feed OTA.

Look on this site and tell us what dish you have.

8. llcamino

llcamino New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    I have the Ku/Ka dish.

9. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Given it was a CBS local, it is highly doubtful that the (pre-season) game was actually in HD. Despite it was on your "HD CBS Local."

10. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Then morgantown hit all the points. With the MPEG4 HD LILs if they work it's great but when there are problems that's a tough issue to debug. Local HD broadcasts are troublesome quite often. So when a problem pops up with a live event such as this the cause could be local broadcast equipment from site to network, network to local station, local station broadcast, feed to DirecTV, feed from DirecTV to the customer.

Also as morgantown mentioned check other local viewers to see if they are experiencing problems with that channel via OTA or local cable. Find the thread for your local DMA at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45. If no one else is reporting problems it would stand to reason that the problem is on DTVs side of the fence.

As far as the commercials go "most" commercials are not yet produced in HD. So when switching from a HD football feed to a commercial it is typically a SD commercial.

11. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    That's correct. Even during the regular season CBS only covers three games a week in HD. If it was covered in SD and upconverted by the local station that could be the cause.

12. llcamino

llcamino New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    I guess I'm going to have to wait until regular season when everything is definitely HD. We'll see.

13. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    CBS is doing all pre season games in HD. When the regular season begins thats when they cut down. I saw the game OTA here in Cleveland on WOIO-DT and it looked perfect to me. (Raycom still hasnt signed a deal with D* for LIL CBS. Another thread for another time)

14. Samoth67

Samoth67 New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    I have the same set up as llcamino from DirecTV (Ku/Ka dish and D20 Rec). My three main locals CBS (3), ABC (6) and NBC (10) all have the "blurry" or pixelization problem with any fast camera movement during football / hockey (finals earlier this summer) - But it also happens during canned shows like Leno and Letterman.

However, my local Fox (29) is perfect as are the remainder of the HD stations. Any insights?

15. luvdtv04

luvdtv04 Legend

Aug 20, 2005
    Most preseason games are in HD this season. The pixellation is an artifact of compression by the station itself, which is particularly noticable in fast motion scenarios (remember all the complaints about pixellation during the Olympic speed skating events?) I have noticed these same artifacts in watching OTA preseason football in HD. Any compression D* may do on an HD-LIL or ESPN-HD on top of that could make the problem even worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.