1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local HD Inconsistencies

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mattblade, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattblade

mattblade New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me understand the local HD DMA layout a little better.

I am interested in finding out why Time Warner cable for the zip code 44505 which equates to Trumbull county Ohio has the Cleveland and Youngstown local channels both in SD and HD in their current lineup. But both D* and E* only offer the Youngstown SD feeds for the same zip code.

If the satellite providers cannot provide the Cleveland channels to my address, why is Time Warner cable allowed to?

2. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    It isn't that they aren't allowed to. Broadcasting HD locals to every market is a daunting task via satellite. The technical issues will be mostly resolved once D11 is active, but that also assumes that D* has made contractual agreements with all the stations in that DMA. The only people who really know the answer to your question all work for D* and won't post an answer on this board.

3. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    Blame the FCC, SHVERA, and Nielsen.

4. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    I also live in Ohio, very near 44505, and a friend switched from TW to Dish, and that was her main gripe. No channel 8 from Cleveland.(Andre' Bernier)
    I don't look for D* to carry any of Cleveland around here, we have Youngstown locals, and except for 62, they're all the same.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    What everyone else said, and add to it that a few years ago cable companies lobbied HARD to make sure the sat providers couldnt offer more local areas to their subscribers.

6. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    I live in Mansfield, Ohio and had to give up the Columbus locals when I switched to DirecTV. We had both Columbus and Cleveland with TWC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.