1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOCAL LIVE NEWS CHANNELS

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by SeaBeagle, May 23, 2013.

1. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Why do not the channels that show live local news on Nowhere TV k ow how to put their advertisements on as well. It is so boring to look at the news then during the break there is either a blank screen or some live video of the outside.

I did not realize that I used all upper case letters in the subject line until I re read the writing.

2. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Maybe they're trying to spare us the agony of listening to car dealers screaming, or furniture dealers telling us about that once in a lifetime sale that will be repeated again in two weeks. :sure:

3. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I would rather see that than look at a blank screen?

4. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The main issue is national advertisers that do local placements. For example, if MacDonalds places an ad on a local station in market X and that channel (along with the ad) gets delivered in market Y, MacDonalds will be upset. MacDonalds (and many other national advertisers) run very specific ads in specific markets. The results in those markets are then very carefully analyzed to determine effectiveness, popularity of the product advertised, etc. If they happen to be promoting Big Macs in market X and chicken sandwiches in market Y, the delivery of Big Mac ads into market Y will distort the analysis.

1 person likes this.
  5. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    The ad is still in Market X and Y is a bonus. Adjusting analysis to X is not rocket science.

6. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    You don't know MacDonalds.

7. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    I know computer programming.

8. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    MacDonalds will refuse to pay for the running of an ad if it is run 2 minutes later (or earlier) than scheduled. Advertising placement is a very delicate issue.

9. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    Sounds like a different issue and still not affecting market X.

10. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    But from MacDonald's (and many other advertisers) point of view it complicates their market research. They simply won't allow it, period.

11. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    color me sceptical

12. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    My bf owns a couple of stations...you wouldn't believe what huge corporations pull to avoid paying for airtime.

13. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    ok but no reason to avoid free airtime.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And when I try to Google Macdonalds to learn about them, Google keeps taking me to McDonalds. Go figure. :)

15. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    MacDonalds...a lovely chain of Scottish restaurants. :D

16. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I think more than anything it's a streaming rights issue. The artists unions, as I understand it, negotiate different rates for online content. It's cheaper to just put up a slate instead of paying for commercials to air online. The same rights issues also affect online radio streaming.

In larger markets they can afford the extra cost so you may see commercials or a special sponsorship during breaks.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using DBSTalk mobile app

17. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I would think and advertiser would love to have their adverts show up across the USA rather than just in their local location. Could bring some extra business if more peels see these adverts.

1 person likes this.
  18. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    Most do.