1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local OTA not carrying Jets-Bears game-I am ticked

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Beckzilla, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    For some reason my local CBS OTA is not carrying the Jets-Bears game and I am pissed! Called the station and got machine. Called DTV to try to change to national network feed and cant get past all the computer prompts. Anybody have any idea on why one local would not carry a local NFL game. I am in the South Bend, IN area.

2. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I don't know the answer to your question but on my local CBS station carried through D* we were supposed to get Jets/Bears & it is showing Titans/Chiefs

3. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    Go here and check out the maps. the best one around.
    http://the506.com/sports/?cat=14

Your local station and the NFL decided to give you the Indianapolis @ Oakland game instead. There nothing you can do at this point, the NFL decide what game is shown on each station.

4. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Makes sense. After all, South Bend IS an Indiana city.

5. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    But South Bend is in the Comcast SportsNet Chicago (all teams) zone + they get Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs games that are carried on WCIU-TV in Chicago on OTA.

6. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    So?

Different sport. If there was an Indiana MLB team, things would be different. In addition, Comcast Sportsnet Chicago has its own rules on whom to cover. The NFL is totally different. Sorry, but I can understand this decision to give priority to the Colts over an out-of-state team.

7. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    OK, I saw the map but I am still perplexed. Why not have both games as they are at different times. This is the first time in my memory that CBS has not shown an early game in my area.

8. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    Becuase, CBS did not have the doubleheader today. only singleheader. Fox had the doubleheader. So you CBS station can only show 1 game today and they choose the Indy and Oakland game.

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That is not true. The channels pay the NFL to air the games and are given the rights to air the game they want. Now I think CBS has to air AFC games and FOX NFC games but the NFL does not pick the games that each affiliate airs.

10. bengalfreak

bengalfreak AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    They do if you live within the blackout area of a team. If you are within a 60 mile radius of an NFL teams stadium (the blackout zone) the local network affiliate must show your team's game as long as it is sold out or they are on the road.

11. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    South Bend is around 95 miles from Chicago. Around 130 to Indianapolis.

12. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007

It 75 miles not 60.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Close. Outside of the home team and secondary market rules, the networks decide what game each affiliate will get. The affiliates can petition for a specific game but the network has the final say. Your post makes it sound like the affiliates pick the games; They do not.

14. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    not necessarily. The Des Moines Fox has had viewer polls on who they want to see all year.

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    They most certinly do. I confirmed that with the FOX & CBS GM here 2 years ago.