1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by brykc14, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Does anyone know if a new local station is started does DIrectv have to add it. Im asking cause, One of our local stations are starting a new sister station Sept 5 called My Z tv, to Broadcast the new MyNetworkTv. I thought I heard somewhere that if they offer local they had to have all, but maybe I heard wrong.

2. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I think the promo showed it was on WSAZ's HD channel 2, and I don't think it has to be carried unless it becomes a Significantly Viewed Channel (which will take a long time since it is digital.)

This probably means we will not have any other source in this area for MyNeworkTV. Perhaps someone else has a different opinion...?

3. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Is it really a "new station" or an existing UP or WB that is simpy switching to CW or MyNetworkTV?

The reason I ask is the UP and WB's are changing over to CW and MyNetworkTV...DTV is keeping the existing channels and just changing the names.

Call DTV, that is the only way to get a true idea what they may be doing. If they don't know ask the CSR to speak with their supervisor -- and send an email to DTV if the "supervisor" does not know either.

4. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    It is digital channel two of analog channel three.

I don't know what is on there now, if anything--we don't get it on DTV.

5. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Is it available on the standard def channels you get? Or is it for example 11-2 or 11-3 on the digital stations? If it is the subchannel on digital then, no they don't have to carry it and the only way you may be able to get it is with OTA.

6. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    No, it is not currently on DTV. They call it channel 3.2, a digital channel. I would have used your terminology, 3-2.

My complaint with it is that it probably locks out the whole network in this market and no one else can pick it up, so we will not have the network here at all on DTV. To get it OTA, in my case, would require 1500 feet of feedline to the antenna. We did that 40 years ago to get 2 or 3 channels, but today...

7. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    "MY Z" is a sideband on the digital channel of WSAZ, the NBC affiliate in the Huntington-Charleston, WV market (which is the second largest geographic market east of the Mississippi) . Being in Pikeville, you will NOT be able to pull it in OTA.

In this market, there are only five commecial stations (the sixth was hijacked by a religious bunch). WB (right time) and UPN (over the late night) have shared an affiliate. That affiliate is going CW.

WSAZ is launching "My Z" on 3.2 digital. It will have the (lame, IMHO) My Network shows, plus a "remix" of WSAZ's syndication, reruns, home shopping, and a 10:00 news show.

DBS, and cable, have no obligation to carry the channel. Its just a sideband on the digital, not a "new" station. WSAZ is offering cable systems a discount if it will carry the channel on retrans consent for WSAZ main. Theoretically, it would make the same deal with DBS, but bandwidth considerations are totally different, so it won't happen.

The current line up in this market is:

WSAZ (NBC), digital is 1-NBC and 2-My Network
    WCHS (ABC), digital is 1-ABC and 2-The Tube music video network
    WVAH (Fox), digital is currently a single channel (Fox)
    WQCW (WB/UPN, to be CW), digital is currently a single channel
    WOWK (CBS), digital is 1-CBS and 2-the local weather radar shot.

The multi-PBSs (the market has four) all also have multi digital casts.

The question I have is what will DirecTV do for unserved markets relative to My, since its NEWS owned.

8. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Well I contacted WSAZ to find out and here is the email.

So I guess that answers that question

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Rob Johnson, news anchor, answered your email!

Seems strange for that to be part of his job description.

But now we know for sure!

10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    WSAZ is VERY responsive to e-mails. They are always signed by this or that news anchor when on programming or news issues. Who knows who really responds.

When I have reported outages in the digital signal (there are plenty) the chief engineer always replies with an honest answer of what the problem is and when they will be back up. He has even thanked me for bringing to his attention that they are off the air (apparently nobody at the station monitors the digital signal to see that the darn thing really is working over the weekends).

11. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004

Yeah I thought it was strange to that he replied..But it was sent to me at 5:43am when he is on the air..so who knows if he answered it or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.