1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Stations in CT

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jmcguire56, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jmcguire56

jmcguire56 Cool Member

Dec 30, 2005
    In CT, if you live in Fairfield County and are a DirecTV subscriber, you can only get your local channels from NYC stations.

If you are a cable TV subscriber anywhere in CT you get both NYC and CT stations for all the networks.

Can anyone explain the rationale for this?

Why do DirecTV subscribers in Fairfield County get penalized by not getting CT stations?

2. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Fairfield county is in the NY dma. That means you get NY stations, it's that simple.

3. RickL

RickL Cool Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Not simple enough for me. LOL

I still don't understand why cable can offer both NY and NewHaven stations if I'm in the Fairfield county dma but not Directv.

What is the difference?

Does cable go by different rules?

4. stlcardsblues

stlcardsblues Legend

Jan 3, 2008
    This is not entirely true. My mom lives on the coast in New Haven county and is not allowed to get WABC-7 out of New York.

5. Mr D

Mr D Legend

Oct 22, 2008
    just get an off air antenna and you'll be fine with both

6. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Yes. And guess who had a hand in writing the rules for DBS?

7. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Yes, cable plays by a different set of rules.

8. jmcguire56

jmcguire56 Cool Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Its not that simple because Cablevision, Comcast, and I think Cox show both NY and CT stations.

Why is it different for DirecTV subscribers?

9. jmcguire56

jmcguire56 Cool Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Really? What town? What cable provider? That's the first time I've ever heard that.

10. jmcguire56

jmcguire56 Cool Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Unfortunately off the air antenna's don't really work in CT. You can only get Channel 8 WTNH (ABC affilliate), and even then its not great.

Channel 3 WFSB, Channel 30 WVIT, and Channel 61 WTIC are impossible to receive a quality signal for people in Fairfield County.

11. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    When I was a kid we lived in Danbury (I was born in New Milford). Cable systems there used to carry the Hartford, New Haven and NYC stations.

12. PaulieORF

PaulieORF Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    The issue here is not about rules, not about DBS companies, and not about cable companies. It's about negotiations between a video carrier (in this case DirecTV) and the local stations. One of the two things is happening which explains why people in Fairfield county do not get neighboring locals for CT:

1. DirecTV has not thought about exploring this, or just hasn't gotten around to it.

or

2. The NY locals (WCSB, WNYW, WNBC, and WABC) have in their agreement with DirecTV that they are to be the only local stations offered in the given service area.

Here's an example of this in motion. In New Haven county DirecTV offers WNYW and WNBC from NY as part of the local channels package along with Hartford/New Haven locals. They do not provide WABC beacuse WTNH has a clause in their agreement that does not allow DirecTV to carry another ABC affiliate for viewers in Connecticut (minus Fairfield county). Also, DirecTV used to offer WCBS as part of the neighboring locals in New Haven county, but as of WFSB's new agreement with DirecTV, they are doing like WTNH and not allowing DirecTV to carry another CBS affiliate in NH county, so DirecTV no longer provides WCBS in neighboring locals.

As far as why more cable companies carry both sets of locals, I do believe that cable companies (since they have more viewers in any particular area than DirecTV) can set more conditions in these deals, such as the right to carry another city's locals.

It can be very complicated, but in the end it's generally on the local stations or their owners as to why you don't get neighboring locals.

I hope that helps.

13. bg4

bg4 Mentor

Oct 26, 2008
    Not sure if related but when you fly Jet Blue the DTV on-board shows WNBC-WCBS but not WABC. Oh that ABC/Disney group - they are very possessive arent they.

14. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Did you see my previous post? You are talking about cable companies. They don't have the same restrictions as do the satellite providers.

15. jmcguire56

jmcguire56 Cool Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I did see your post...I'm just looking for 'why?'

I have no interest in what happens in the Bronx or Northern NJ...I want to know what's happening in New Haven and Bridgeport and Hartford, etc. I want to be able to see local news from CT, not NYC.

Luckily the internet negates a lot of what I lose but I'd still like to be part of the CT market and not NYC.

16. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Why? Ah, the age old question! Probably money, that's usually why, no matter the question.:lol: Seriously, it has to do with the cable companies having a better lobby in Congress than the satellite companies do.

17. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    FCC rules that force providers to provide local market only (in the case of satallite), or local market and significant other local market (in the case of cable). When the rules for cable were made, satallite providers didn't exist. After the advent of satallite poviders, new rules had to be made and cable companies lobbied (threw money at) politicians to make the satallite rules more restrictive. Doesn't make sense and it's not fair, but there ya go.
    I'm in the same boat. I am forced to watch Pasco/Kennewick Washington stations, even though I live in Oregon and don't give a rat's ass about Washington news or politics. If I had cable I would get both Pasco market stations as well as Portland market.