1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local subchannels revisited

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jtudor, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1 of 22
    jtudor

jtudor Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    I am starting to see local stations putting their subchannels to more use recently, for instance carrying college basketball games on either one channel and regular national network programming on the other. I noticed this recently while in Durham when my wife was having surgery at Duke and the local CBS station carried the ACC game on the main channel and the regular CBS programming on the subchannel. Since then I have also noticed the CBS affiliate in Charlotte doing the same thing.

My question is, now that this more mainstream kind of programming is being put on subchannels more often, what are the chances of *D* carrying subchannels on local stations anytime soon?

Are subchannels being carried by *D* in any markets? If so, how would one approach the matter of getting them carried here?

I have also noticed that more and more cable systems are carrying the subchannels too.

2. Mar 7, 2013 #2 of 22
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Very little if any chance DIRECTV will add any OTA secondary sub-channels to the satellite feeds save for any of the TV networks which some smaller markets use to carry them at times.

You're only alternative for receiving secondary sub-channels are with the addition of an AM21(N) OTA tuner module (except for the H/HR20 receivers where its built-in) if your lucky enough to have the sub-channels previously added to the downloadable off-air database for your market since DIRECTV is making few if any new additions to it nowadays.

Or you may add an AM21(N) with an HR34 or upcoming HR44 which will scan off-air for them, though without any guide data listed. But you will get them at least.

3. Mar 7, 2013 #3 of 22
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Without significantly more satellite capacity, I don't think it's very likely.

One workaround is to use an off-air antenna to receive those stations. You can use the AM21 Off-Air Tuner Accessory with your DVR to record those, provided you can receive them with an antenna. And provided that they're actually included in the Guide Data database.

4. Mar 7, 2013 #4 of 22
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    a work around for folks with OTA reception of these subs and no D* interest in helping, would be getting a Tivo.

I am installing one this afternoon (God willing) for some folks that really want to have DVR capability for the local, and an adjacent DMA's subchannels.

I was aware for quite a while they wanted to do this, and I knew of the Channel Master product, but reviews have not been kind to that device. A rep at BB just mentioned in passing the current Tivos had OTA capability, which I had overlooked, thought they had been cable only for some reason.

I realize without OTA signal and an antenna, folks wanting this are not going to get it, but for folks wanting DVR on their subs, this is an alternative to look into.

If there is interest, I'll post on how well my install goes.

5. Mar 7, 2013 #5 of 22
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Post back when you get it installed and tell me if the DIRECTV TIVO (THR22) list guide information for all the scanned OTA DTV sub-channels it finds. Or if its like the HR34 (and -44) does which only has continuous grid blocks simply titled "Regular Schedule" as guide info. for all sub-channels DIRECTV does not have listed in its satellite downloaded OTA database file.

6. Mar 7, 2013 #6 of 22
    jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    My market Greenville NC has a couple of sub channels in the local package.

CW is a sub channel of our CBS station this channel is on ch 15

UNC EX is a sub channel of our PBS station this station is even listed as 25-2

But as mentioned above, my local NBC channel does the same thing, it will run NBC programming on its 7.2 subchannel when it has ACC basketball games.

7. Mar 7, 2013 #7 of 22
    jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    I read his post as getting a Tivo Tivo, not the D* bastardized version

8. Mar 7, 2013 #8 of 22
    jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    The premiere version the OTA tuner SUCKS!. The 4 tuner Premiere is cable only. The 2 tuner models can do OTA
    If you can find a Series 3 those have OTA tuners that are way better

9. Mar 7, 2013 #9 of 22
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I'm installing a Tivo Tivo. Don't have any D* THR22 units in any clients homes.

Sorry to hear about the wonky tuner on the Tivo, the location has good/consistent signal strength on the main DMA channels, the adjacent DMA not so good. I think I know how this is going to turn out. I'll post about it.

I recall the converter box era (boo, hiss) and some units were much better than others, too bad Tivo didn't put a strong tuner in the box.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK, thanks anyway;

I'll post in the THR22 forum for an answer to this issue.

11. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    That's my only complaint. I understand the capacity issues but how much effort would it require them to update the sub-channel database? I have the AM-21 with an HR-23 and nothing has been added in a long time. They seem to appear immediately for the tuner in my Viera plasma.

12. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    What would be nice if DirecTV would carry subchannels which are already national in scope and map them to local subchannels. Something that is currently done with ION (map down, not sub channels).

For example, ME-TV, full of old reruns, but its content is similar to what TVLand used to be. There are a few others.

By the way, DirecTV can do more than network subchannels, in Denver, they transmit 12.2 which is has a logo of the "e i" channel. It mostly shows various newscasts from around the world. Channel 12 is of of the twp PBS affiliates in Denver.

As for local produced content sub channels, I do not see that happening, due to capacity issues. As for over the air, I am too far from the transmitters, and too many hills in the way, for that possibility.

13. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    The problem is that MeTV, RTV, Antenna TV and Retro TV are all syndicated by market.

I don't think they're going to license DirecTV to carry their content as a CONUS channel because it's going to put them in direct competition with their syndication subscribers in the local markets. Those local syndicators sell advertising time at rates based on viewership. They wouldn't be happy with the competition.

14. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Sorry for the confusion but will the HR34/AM21 combo scan for channels or just the HR44?

15. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    HR34 will scan for channels. If any of the channels it sees are not in the guide database it just won't show program information in the guide.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yea ...

For instance the latest frustrating example of the problems with this, there are going to be some mad people here when I have to explain to them when Fox's new off-air sub-channel "MOVIES!" gets ready to launch soon on my Fox O&O KTTV 11 on 11-3, chances are DIRECTV will not add it to the database, so their AM21s on HR2X receivers (sister and brother) cannot receive them.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/fo...twork-for-local-tv-digital-subchannels_b79010

I'll be able to see it on my HR34 after re-running the OTA setup to force a channel re-scan of course, but without any guide information.

Have to go on line for it, as I need to do with THIS TV on CW outlet KTLA 5 channel 5-3 which also has no guide data.

17. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    If your TV has a digital tuner, you can watch 11-3 via antenna.

18. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman AllStar

Feb 18, 2009
    We frequently watch our local sub channels on cable to catch ball games not available on DTV. Being a Comcast HSI customer, it's worthwhile for us maintaining the most basic cable package for this as well as watching local weather when storms are bad enough to knock out our DTV signal.
    The downside to this arrangement is having to go to tv menu to swap feeds, and no ability to DVR the content

19. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    After some schedule conflicts, the customers finally had me over to install their Tivo Tivo.

Setup was painless, and the channel scan picked up the main DMA no problem, but the adjacent one was hinky on a few, and no signal on the rest. I might, when weather settles, go adjust their OTA system a tad, but I'm not hopeful. They had an existing DVD recorder, with an OTA tuner, so I have some splitter loss I had hoped to avoid. Might be able to rearrange things and get my 3 dB back, but who knows if it would be enough.

They immediately loved the Tivo. (these people lead sheltered lives,m LOL). She especially seemed to grasp what the potential was.

The Tivo guided me thru setup, and the data loading and phone calls went well. Picture on the HDMI out put was fine, and the remote programmed to the Sammy code just fine.

I had an HR10-250 years ago, the Tivo experience came right back for me, all the beeps and boops, all the screens looked familiar too.

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Sure I can, but they (sister and brother) can't record or otherwise DVR it is the point.