1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local TV news decline follows newspapers

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Mar 18, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm sure this is a surprise to everyone here :sure: but the NY Times reports:
    From the Pew site we discover:
    The only thing rarely discussed is the fact that when the 1958 economic model for TV was established (in 1958), news was expected to be a loss leader not a profit center. There was no financial struggle in the TV journalism industry because it was understood it would lose money. But I guess perspectives change.:rolleyes:

2. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I have not watched local or evening major network news in years. The locals still get my money through Directv. Cable and satellite subscriber fees are the only thing keeping the local channels afloat.

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I'm in a Top 100 national DMA, and only 2 locals do news broadcasts at lunchtime. curiously though, one of them does an extra 1/2hour at 4PM.

Weather departments remain import, they all still compete on their super doppler radars and trained certified meteorologists.

They all encourage civilians to send in cell phone pics of news, it never occurred to me that saves them from rolling a news van, LOL.

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    In 1958, TVs didn't have remote controls, so the news was the lead-in to that evening's prime time viewing.

The other change, of course, is competition. If TV news departments could command the share of the audience that their shows had in 1958 by losing a comparable amount of money today, they might, but they can't, because we don't have to wait for the evening news show to get the news. I stopped regularly watching ABC's Nightline over a decade ago because I had already heard the day's topics hashed out by similarly credentialed talking heads on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC, just as those dueling evening sports reports at 11:00 PM on CNN and ESPN (Back, back, back, back, back!) were eventually giving me information that I already had whenever I had cared to get it earlier, elsewhere.

A couple of years ago, I commented here on a feature series I had just read in the New York Times that I estimated cost them at least tens of thousands of dollars to produce and possibly closer to a hundred thousand dollars, and wondered how much longer they could justify expending that much money on that kind of a story. Making matters worse for them, my attention span is shorter so I am less inclined to read such a feature when they do produce one. or maybe, given that my time and life are finite, maybe it is better for me to click into a thousand snippets of stories a day instead of immersing myself in a few.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Local TV news has largely descended into reports of fires, accidents, murders and sexual abuse. To their credit, newspapers still do a better job of reporting on the economy, infrastructure, real estate and other things of local interest. TV sports has become intensely competitive, now with the addition of new Fox Sports channels coming this summer.

The networks still do a pretty good job of reporting national and foreign news once you get past the pretty faces on some of them. There is a definite generation gap when it comes to readership/viewership. Beginning with Gen X, you see a decline, which worsens with their offspring.
    The failure of major newspapers and merger of publishers has had a real impact on news gathering.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I think this is more market dependent. In my area, there are 2 dominent TV news stations, both doing multiple times of news (although there seems to be ALOT of story recycling - usually a story airs once in the morning (that I see), once at noon, once or twice in the late afternoon/ early evening (4-630PM time frame), and finally once in the late night news (10-1130 PM). There are other stations, that the 2 main stations feed, and the NBC station is on their own (not as much other news, but they are the only ones with a 7PM news)

Sad to say - where you really see the decline in the local news is in our local newspaper ( the Raleigh News and Observer) - the paper is not as big in area, nor is their story coverage as they used to be.

7. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    My biggest issue with the local news (and getting that way with national) is that they spend more time telling you what story they will tell you about after the next several commercials than they actually do in telling the story.

8. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    What I don't like from any news source is opinion masquerading as news.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    What's common now on local news, when a major tragedy occurs, it takes over the whole news show to the point that you have to look elsewhere to find local news, or even the weather.

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    99% of the time now... the "local" news is already known on Facebook/Twitter/WWW site, before the news broadcast airs. If it wasn't for the Weather, I am not even sure I would watch any local news broadcast... (and that is even fading with the usage of Weather Apps).

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

12. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    Local news (Both TV and newspapers) have downsized to cut costs in recent years. It shows.

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I seldom watch so-called 'local' tv news anymore. Although I sub to the online version of my local paper for $97/yr ($0.31/day), I seldom read it. Money wasted, IMO - may cancel. I spend more time reading 'national' papers, NYT, WAPO, WSJ, AJC, etc.