1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local weather channel problem

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lee635, Jun 26, 2013.

1. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Hi all, You all always have great advice and insights, so hopefully you can help with this minor issue.

I used to be able to go to the weather channel, wait for the little "tornado" to show up on the screen then hit the button on the remote and get the app that shows you local weather info, radar screen, etc. Well, since we moved across town, it doesn't work. The tornado comes up on the screen, then I click on the remote, but it takes me to that 101 barker channel instead. I am hooked up to the internet via ethernet cable into my model 722.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this hiccup???

Thanks again to everyone, Lee

2. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I wish Dish had WeatherNation when they had a dispute with TWC.

3. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I know you said you are connected to the internet via Ethernet, but is the box actually on the internet? If so, there is a menu selection that might have got changed. (TV Enhancements)

4. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Dish is missing what the customers want. Hope Dish and the DIRT members read these posts
    1-When is Dish going to add the Weather nation channel? I just watched it online. It is really good.
    2-What about adding the coming soon Accuweather channel?
    3-How about a weatherscan local weather channel with live Radar and temp
    Dish has the bandwidth for this if they do it in low res SD
    And
    Put it on the same spot beams they use today for my prime time

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    1) DISH added "The Weather Center" in May of 2010 - then dropped it when they renewed their contract with The Weather Channel. "The Weather Center" has now become "WeatherNation". Perhaps we will get WN when TWC's contract is up.

2) I would not mind seeing WeatherNation or Accuweather added ... although I would prefer regionalized feeds instead of another national feed.

3) The 2010 press release announcing the return of The Weather Channel promised the addition of regional weatherscan channels from TWC. There has been no explanation nor acknowledgement from DISH concerning this missed promise. The current Weather Channel app on the Hopper is good and provides adequate local information regardless of what channel the viewer is watching. Weather information can be viewed without leaving the channel being watched. But the standalone channel has not appeared.

6. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    It was actually called The Weather Cast.

7. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Thanks for the correction ... four days over four years ago. Sometimes the brain forgets the details. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weather_Cast

8. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I am suggesting a weather scan type of channel with live radars and temps. The weather app on the hopper is delayed by 30 mins
    During the last tornado I noticed the radar showed it was far away yet it was over me.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    During severe weather I watch "live" radar from the NWS. Quotes added because there is always some delay in distributing the data. Unless TWC installs radars in every market the best they can do is rely on the same information I can get online - delayed as TWC weatherscan turns around the data and displays it on the screen.

Many local TV stations have their own radar systems. One of my local stations has a "double doppler" system where they get two live views of each storm. They rely a lot on the NWS for forecasting but have their own meteorologists to interpret the weather. Local NWS offices and TV stations only have to worry about their own areas. They do not need to consider the entire country. They are the best resource.