1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locals and Distant Networks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kzziboy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. kzziboy

kzziboy Cool Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Okay. I know there are a LOT of threads about this issue... Here's my situation. I currently subscribe to and receive Distant Networks from New York and L.A. I get BOTH SD and HD versions of all the networks. I just got a letter from Directv stating that local HD channels are now available in my market. So, can I call and ask to receive those channels for an extra $3 per month AND KEEP the Distant Networks from both coasts? OR will they shut of the distant networks and just give me my locals?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think you'll find your DNS will fade away.
    Once locals are available through DirecTV, it seems to trigger a review of your standing [may take some time to happen].
    Some of the things that happened to me was HD was reduced to the nearest coast, so mountain only gets west coast, while central gets east coast.
    Next the station waivers will need to be re-approved.
    In my case the DNS HD waviers I had/wanted were declined by my local stations.

3. zeus

zeus Legend

May 18, 2011
    As soon as the locals were entered into the system, my bill was automatically recalculated with the new locals appearing and DNS removed.

4. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    What package do you have? If you have a newer package that has locals included they will just appear in your guide as long as you have the proper equipment to view them.

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    You have to be really careful with this if you want to keep the DNS feeds. The best answer I can give you is if you had your DNS feeds when the new law went into affect then you are grandfathered in and should be able to keep both. However I would not call to add them with just anyone. I would try to reach someone in the DNS department or maybe vice president of CS office. I would confirm with them first that you can keep both before adding them. So first off decide if you have to keep DNS feeds no matter what. If so then make some calls and see if anyone can tell you about keeping both. I was able to keep both. I had my DNS feeds before my locals were launched and before the law changed so I still have both. I would never of taken the locals at the risk of losing my DNS feeds. Most here will just say its one or the other. That is not true. Its not easy and is very risky but it can be done. So do you have a package without locals?

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I would of called immediately. You have a choice you know. You should be able to keep both but regardless you can keep DNS and not take the locals if you want. What I would caution about that is anytime you want to add a special 2 for 1 for premiums or something dont let them quick talk you into updating your package if you are on a grandfathered package as they will for sure add you to a package with locals and then you will be screwed.

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I think we would all have to agree that different things happen. I know where I stand and what I am willing to do to get what I feel I have a right to get. I think it depends on who you talk to. I know that is not ideal but I have HD and SD DNS both coasts and my locals and have no issues what so ever. I read the horror stories on here about how the local channels get reports monthly telling them who has DNS and I am going to have to call BS on that one. I am in a market that has all 4 stations but only 2 of them are on D* and I would have to think that all 4 would want removed as 2 are on D* and the other 2 can not come to an agreement over money. This usually comes down to how hard you want to try to get locals and keep DNS.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Really" it is the total control of each of your local stations.
    Some don't seem to care, while others simply refuse to grant waivers. In these cases you need to prove you can't receive their signal, through having a site survey, which if it doesn't end up in your favor, you pay for.

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    There is more to it then that. According to the FCC there is no measurement so far for Digital to say you are above and dont qualify or below and do. I personally find this ridiculous. Not only that but finding a tester that is willing to go against the station and say you qualify. What idiot is going to hire someone for a test that has no definition of what passes and what fails? Talk about an issue.

Not to mention there are other things to try first. I would call the GM of the station and see if I could convince them first. Let them know where I lived and why I thought I should get a waiver. They are sometimes persuaded. If they play the card that they want you watching them for the advertising I would just say look if I have to go through the trouble to put up an antenna because you cant come to terms with D* then I will be pointing towards another DMA and watching their channels anyway and getting them for free.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I hope I am wrong for the OP's sake, but I believe when the locals become available they will be added to your package, and the distants will be taken away. Satellite providers may not give you distants (even if you are in a white zone) if they are providing your locals. I am not 100% sure that can be grandfathered anymore, or that Direct is willing to give both in any case now.

There must be a newer measurement for Digital that is in use, at least by All American Direct for determining a White Zone. When channels were analog, I did not qualify for CBS with All American Direct. I felt that was probably correct, though not easy I could get a decent signal.
    About 8 months ago I decided to ask them if CBS was now available, because I know there is no way with any antenna to get that digital signal. To my surprise, they ran the check and said it does now show as being available as a distant.

The best prediction on the web is TV fools. http://www.tvfool.com

11. kzziboy

kzziboy Cool Member

Sep 14, 2007
    I have Choice Xtra + HD DVR No Locals

12. kzziboy

kzziboy Cool Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Oh, forgot to mention...I've had the distant networks since about 2005. That's back when they gave you BOTH coasts with BOTH the SD and HD channels. Then they took away the East Coast HD Feeds but left the SD Feeds and they left both the SD and HD West Coast Feeds. THEN about a year ago we got the East Coast HD Feeds back.

13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Trust me I know all about this. I spoke with the FCC directly as recent as the last month or so and was told there still is no measurement set for this yet. I have a name and number if you care to verify. All that All American Direct would have to do is find a company around there that would say each address passes or there is one other thing that changed with the new law as well that could be affect this. The new law says that you only have to have approval from an affiliate that is in your DMA. In the past I had to have 3 different DMA's approve for CBS and that was just plain rubbish. Why should a station that can not claim me in their DMA have to approve my waiver? As for you comments about D* just turning off the DNS feeds, I have heard stories that you have a time limit to choose between DNS and locals.

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Its really up to you. If you want to find the right person on the phone preferably someone in the DNS department to add them but to verify you can keep them before doing so or just keeping the DNS feeds. If it was me I would call and then if they tell you that you cant keep both just make it clear that you want to keep DNS and not take your locals. Let me know what happens. I am more than willing to help any way I can. I have some contacts that can clarify some things if needed. I have spent the last 3 years researching DNS feeds and probably know more about this as least as far as D* is concerned then anyone else on this site.

I have spoken with the company that makes the tool D* uses to determine your eligibility, the FCC, my Congressman, my Senator, D*,all my local affiliates GM's and some of their owners as well, etc. You name it and I have spoken with them about DNS.

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    When local HD became available here (Oct 2010), DirecTV didn't do anything with my DNS when I activated the locals. Maybe, it's a grandfathered situation as I've had the DNS for almost forever.

16. jslattery

jslattery New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I have DNS for all the networks for at least 5 years, both SD (east and west feeds) and HD (east feed only). Locals were just added in my market except for NBC. To save money, can I add the locals and drop all DNS networks except for just NBC? Apparently D* did not come to agreement with my local NBC station.

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I believe the answer is yes. Are they listed on your bill individually per network? You just want to be careful and make sure they only shut of the ones you want. Clarify first when calling so that there is no misunderstanding. If they shut everything off you may have a hard time getting them back on.

18. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Are you sure about the west coast HD DNS? I used to have just the east coast, but a year or so ago the west coast magically appeared. And as noted above I also now have my locals.

19. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    But there are some customers who never had waivers, but still have DNS. In those cases, there is little the local station can do as their DNS is now covered by STELA.

20. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    To OP, Be careful when cancelling your DNS stations, as you will never get them back, now. You are grandfathered in, so you can keep all/any, in addition to your locals. You just have to pay the monthly fee to continue receiving all/any.