1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locals and Fox Sports Midwest

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DBTNAW, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 4, 2006 #1 of 13
    DBTNAW

DBTNAW New Member

Apr 4, 2006
    I am a Dish Network subscriber and have been so for years with a monthly subscription that I pay for to the Multi-Sport Pak. The problem with this package is that most of the FSN feeds (20 of them) that I am paying for through this package, when broadcasting a MLB, NBA, or NHL game usually have them blacked out. I live in Louisiana and get anything for sure on Fox Sports Southwest with no blackouts.

What would I need to do if I wanted my physical address updated to a St. Louis address to get FOX Sports Midwest feeds to watch the St. Louis Cardinals baseball games without having those games blacked out. The games show up on the screen but are usually blacked out. I really would not care if the other FSN feeds of MLB games are blacked out from the other Fox Sports channels that I already pay for.

I have read in this forum that you can request your physical address be changed and not your billing address in order to do this. Is that all I have to do? Even though located in Louisiana, I could watch the FSN Midwest games. I get the Fox Sports Midwest channel already since I pay for it, just with my Louisiana address most of the professional sports on that channel are blacked out. So I would not be getting anything that I am not paying for.

If I request a physical address change to a St. Louis address, would I then receive the St. Louis local channels instead of my Louisiana channels that I am getting now? Either way, I would get the same locals, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, etc. Will it require moving the satellite to pull in the St. Louis locals or would the change in the physical address automatically take care of that?

2. Apr 4, 2006 #2 of 13
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Most of the St. Louis locals are on a spotbeam that probably doesn't reach Louisiana. Check Tony's incredible Dish Channel Chart (http://www.dishchannelchart.com/) for details. Some of the St. Louis locals currently use a side dish, but when the single-dish requirement hits later this year, they're likely to move, probably to a spotbeam. In short, by the end of the year, if your service address is St. Louis and your dish is in Louisiana, you probably won't get any locals.

But yes, if you feel like lying about your address just to watch games they won't sell you otherwise, "moving" to a St. Louis address should get you FS Midwest.

3. Apr 4, 2006 #3 of 13
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    RSNs are on national transponders (we call them ConUS for Continental US because they cover the whole US). Most locals are or will be on 'spotbeams' that cover only a small area of the US. You can "move" to St. Louis ... but there is a good chance that you won't physically be able to receive St. Louis locals in Louisiana. (The HD signals on 129° will be able to be received as the satellite at 129° is currently ConUS.)

Channels migrating to spotbeams will take the fun out of "moving".

4. Apr 5, 2006 #4 of 13
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If you are in Louisiana and want to see the Cardinals, the only choice you have is called MLBEI.

The SportsPack is only a good choice for those who live in an area with overlapping sports territories.

For example: in extreme Western Ohio Sports Pack would give you the Reds, Tigers, and Indians in the clear on their RSN's/ You stil get all 20 RSN's with the same filler programming (plus some regional college coverage).

But if you are nowhere near the territory of your favorite team(s) the "packs" are the only choice. Yes they are more expensive (you expected to get anything of substance for $5/month?).

5. Apr 5, 2006 #5 of 13
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I imagine that the original poster already knows what you get with the Multi Sports Package, since he said he's subscribed to it for years. But for anyone else reading the thread, here's that link to all the pro, college, and other sports you get for your $6/month: http://www.carload.com/dishsports.htm

6. Apr 5, 2006 #6 of 13
    psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    just to summarize what has already been said:

the original poster can "move" to St Louis and will receive fox sports midwest with virtually no blackouts of cardinals games. this will work because the Regional Sports Network feeds are CONUS. The downside to this is that you'll lose all of your locals because they're on a spotbeam that you won't be able to pick up from that far away.

So if you're willing to bust out a pair of rabbit ears to pick up your Louisiana locals, you'd be all set. But of course this means you couldn't record anything from your locals onto your DVR (if you have one).

another possibilty would be to "move" to a different market which also picks up FSN MidWest but whose locals are CONUS. The Columbia / Jefferson City, MO market meets these criteria. So for the time being, if you had a 105 superdish, you could pick up locals out of Columbia / Jefferson City and your RSN would be Fox Sports Net MidWest.

See here for more information about locals:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/19

You want a market that is "close" to st louis but whose locals are on either 105 or 121 (locals on 105 or 121 are CONUS). then you go here:

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

and enter any valid address (find a pizza hut or something in that city and then add an apartment number to it). it'll show you exactly what channels you'll receive (and in particular it'll show you which RSN is associated with those locals).

in order to make the columbia locals work, you'd need to buy a 105 superdish (eBay is your friend) and install it yourself at your location in louisiana. then when you call dish to "move" tell them that you took the dish to your "summer home" in Columbia and that there is already an installed superdish up there and all you need is them to swap you over to the Columbia locals.

if the only RSN you care about is FSN MidWest then you can cancel the multi sports pack once you do the move.

finally, this is probably only a temporary way to get out of market locals since dish network is actively seeking to move all locals off of 105 and 121 and put them on spotbeams at 110 or 119 instead. the recent launch of echostar 10 makes this possible but there have been some snags that are holding things up. nobody is really sure how long locals will persist on 105 or 121 but make no mistake about it -- it's not going to last forever. if you wanted to go this route, you'll probably get three to six months worth of locals. of course, FSN MidWest will always be available since it's a CONUS feed and this will not be changing.

hope this helps.

7. Apr 5, 2006 #7 of 13
    Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Until Dish,Direct and the NAB finally pull their collective heads out of their collective rears on significantly viewed stations. Then I could move to Lawrence Co, IN and get both Louisville and Indianapolis locals... got to watch my Cards!

8. Apr 5, 2006 #8 of 13
    Boxman

Boxman Cool Member

Jun 10, 2005
    This question is for anybody living in the Indianapolis area.Im moving
    there in June and I know Fox Sports Midwest will be my RSN.My
    question is this...With Dish will I be able to receive Cincinnati Reds Games
    along with Cubs and White Sox games?,Or Just the Reds or No Team
    at all?.Ive checked MLB territory maps in the past month and Indianapolis
    Lies in Reds,Cubs and White Sox territories.I havent been able to
    get any info about this so if anybody can help me out,Thanks in
    advance :)

9. Apr 6, 2006 #9 of 13
    Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    On Dish, you'll get FS Midwest, FS Cincy and CSN Chicago. IIRC, you'll get the Cubs, ChiSox and Reds.

10. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...

That depends on the part of the DMA you're moving to. Here in the northern part of the Indy DMA we only get Fox Sports Midwest & Comcast Sports Chicago. But I think most the rest of the DMA also gets Fox Sports Cincinati.

11. psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
  12. Boxman

Boxman Cool Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Thanks for all your help folks,I really appreciate it.Ive gotten more
    info here than anywhere else :) Im moving to the Southern Part
    of the Indy Metropolitan area so maybe that will help me get FSN
    Cincy?.I recently read where FSN Midwest will broadcast 63 Reds
    games this year so I would Guess that on Regular Cable,thats the
    Only Baseball you can get other than WGN and TBS games.I am
    a Huge baseball fan and a Reds fan so Im really looking forward
    to getting the Reds Games without paying the $159 bucks for
    MLBEI,and you dont even get all the games,only the games that
    are on the RSN's.Why are the Hockey and basketball packages
    always better than Extra Innings?...Thanks again for all your
    help guys :)

13. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    Any serious home theater system needs a good quality OTA antenna setup, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.