1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tmanbt, Jan 30, 2013.

1. tmanbt

tmanbt Cool Member

Feb 4, 2003
    How come I can only get new york locals with DTV but I can get phila locals with Comcast ? Same address. This issue is making me switch to cable.

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Cable gets to play by different rules.

3. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Not only that, but cable got the chance to help write the rules and guards its advantage jealously.

4. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Same thing here, in the 2 towns next to me, Greenville NC and Williamston NC, Suddenlink offers WRAL CBS from Raleigh NC and which is over 90 miles away. But Directv does not.

5. old7

old7 Godfather

Dec 1, 2005
    I'm fairly certain that if the law(s) allowed, DirecTV would be more than willing to sell everyone more than one set of locals. I'd bet DirecTV would be very happy to have the option to sell you all the (ConUS) locals your heart desired and could afford.

The issue is what the government allows and why. Some of the whys make sense, some don't; often it depends on your perspective.

6. twaller

twaller DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 17, 2005
    Well the government allows Directv to offer neighboring locals In my area (under the "significantly viewed" provision), but they do not. It is their choice.

7. old7

old7 Godfather

Dec 1, 2005
    This is from 2006, but the issue is largely the same today.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=6518617254

8. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not a direct answer but the other guys are hitting on where you can go with this if you want to stay with DirecTV. You could either provide us your zip or look on the significantly viewed list on the FCC site to see if the stations you seek are considered significantly viewed for your area.

If they are, you can contact the stations GM and appeal to them letting them know where you live and that due to them being a significantly viewed channel in your county, DirecTV can offer you their signal. Let them know you want it and that you think others would as well. If they are truly interested they can contact DirecTV and arrange it.

I did that here and 2 of the 3 stations that could do it actually did and I am still working on the 3rd one. I live in Oklahoma but my locals come from Kansas and Missouri. Lucky for me 3 of the big four from Tulsa are considered significantly viewed for my county.

Also another way to get around this is to get an antenna and get a AM21 from DirecTV to have your locals import into the guide and be able to record them straight to a DirecTV DVR still. Good luck with this and let us know what happens or if you need any assistance. I wouldnt be opposed to calling the stations for you if you were interested.

9. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    What???? The government can make rules that don't make sense? I am shocked. Now I have to do a whole paradigm shift to my world reality.