1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long term DirecTV customer going HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by skirmash, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1 of 29
    skirmash

skirmash New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Hey everyone,

I am a long term DirecTV customer who is about to go HD having ordered my KRP-500m. For the time being, we will only have one HDTV in the house.

We have been very good for DirecTV. We watch a lot of PPV sporting events as well as subscribing to a number of extra sports channels and season packages.

My feeling is that I should ask for everything I can get and be prepared to wave Dish in the face of the CSR when I call DirecTV.

We currently have 2 SD DVRs and I am thinking I should ask for at least 2 HD DVRs. I am not familiar with the latest equipment/dish/terminology. We currently have 2 cables run directly from our oval dish to each DVR. We are also seriously considering running structured wiring in the house so distribute av.

Does anyone have a good idea of DirecTV's current HD offers in terms of equipment and what I might expect to get out of them if I drive a hard bargain? I really have no idea what to ask for :confused:.

Kind regards,

Ash

2. Aug 2, 2009 #2 of 29
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Ask to swap the 2 sd dvrs for 2 hd ones.

3. Aug 3, 2009 #3 of 29
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm assuming you are past your initial commitment and if you been paying on time, they should offer you a deal. Best thing to do is call and say cancel and that will take you to retention.

When you get to retention, tell them basically what you said in the post. I really want HD and I can get a great deal from Dish to switch. I really would prefer to stay with D*, if you can give me an incentive to stay. Then see what they offer. If you want 2 free HD DVR's + other items, after you hear their offer, let them know you would do the deal if they give it to you.

You might try to see if they will give you the new customer offer as a win-back. The new promo, it is $21/ mo discount for 12 mo's off most packages, a free HD DVR (HRxx) and 3 mo's of free movie channels. They might be able to do a quick disconnect and reconnect to give you this offer. If you want NFL ST package, the other offer is pay $70/mo for 5 months for NFL ST + HD and get the premier package free. Then you can downgrade after 5 mo's.

For reference, HD DVR's cost $199 and they are leased. You can't order a specific model and the current models are HR20 thru HR23. Also, confirm that standard installation is free. Keep in mind no matter what offer you chose, it will start a new 2 yr commitment.

4. Aug 3, 2009 #4 of 29
    beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I wish you luck. Don't expect the world and you won't be disappointed.

5. Aug 3, 2009 #5 of 29
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Expect the offer to be one free HD-DVR and one at regular price ($199 upfront lease fee), along with free dish upgrade. Expecting anything beyond that is setting yourself up for disappointment.

6. Aug 3, 2009 #6 of 29
    MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Just be careful if you call and say that you want to cancel. There have been some posts out here in the past where folks did say that and they were, in fact, cancelled.

Just be up front with them, and if you don't get a response that you like from the CSR, just "accidentally" disconnect, call back and you might get a difference CSR who may or may not be able to up the ante for you.

I just don't like the veiled threats of cancellation just to get something for free. If I was a CSR and someone said that to me, I'd probably wind up cancelling them... since that's what they orignally asked for.;)

7. Aug 3, 2009 #7 of 29
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I can't recommend structured wiring at this point. There are too many issues that remain unsettled in terms of how things will move going forward. It is probably safest to insure that you have high quality RG6 and plenty of CAT5 running around.

DIRECTV seems to be espousing some subset of RG6 based MoCA for MRV.

8. Aug 3, 2009 #8 of 29
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Saying the words "cancel service" at the initial voice prompt will NOT get you canceled! It will get simply route your call to the Retention department. Once you get there, then you can try to negotiate a "deal". Don't "threaten" to cancel. Just tell the CSR you are considering your options for HD and want to know what D* can do to compete with cable, FIOS, E*, etc.

9. Aug 3, 2009 #9 of 29
    CoramDeo

CoramDeo AllStar

May 24, 2007
    My folks had been with D* since Primestar was bought. Their receiver finally gave up so they called to see if they could have a replacement and maybe an extra receiver for the bedroom, since they only had the one. All SD stuff, no HD. D* offered a free replacement and the second SD receiver for $69. The local telephone company had been offering a TV package (not FIOS) so they mentioned that to the CSR to see if they could offer a better deal on the second receiver. No dice. So my folks cancelled D* after all those years. The lesson? Do not expect D* to reward loyalty and regular payment history.

10. tcason

tcason New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Just got off the phone after about 3 hours of dealing with various sales reps. It turns out new customer offers are FOR NEW CUSTOMERS !!! (2nd sales rep got huffy with me for asking about the deals on the website)

Bottom Line - my discounts:
    - $100 off HD DVR (so HD-DVR costs $99)- no free shipping ($16, IIRC), but free installation ($44, IIRC)
    - $10 off/month for 12 months for HD access
    - $20 off/month for 6 months for my Sunday Ticket sub (no free Super Fan)

Background:
    - Since I think service level/time affects your discounts - I've been a subscriber since 2003. For most of that time, I've had a mid-level package with locals, sports package, 1 DVR, and two receivers. I rarely purchase PPV and don't have any movie channels. I've also had Sunday Ticket for 4 or 5 years.
    - I dealt with 3 different retention reps and didn't get a different answer. If you have a comparable service profile to me, I don't think you will get much more of a discount on the DVR no matter how persistent you are (if you're ordering 2 from them that might change the equation though).
    - I actually canceled and had a disconnect order pending for 2 hours - the second "retention" rubbed me the wrong way (said he didn't see what was wrong with the package he was offering me and kind of raised his voice - I'd been nothing but polite and friendly).
    - Based on the above, I think I maxed out what they were willing to offer me based on my service profile. I wasn't really sure whether I was bluffing or not when I told them to cancel, but they clearly decided to call me either way. It seems clear they'll let you walk even after several uneventful years rather than give you what they're offering to attract new customers.

Hope that helps.

11. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    $340 in discounts seems pretty good to me...

12. tcason

tcason New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm not convinced of it, but it makes me feel better to hear someone else thinks I got a decent deal. Thanks, seriously.

One thing to keep in mind though, these discounts are available for them to give out simply because they nickel and dime you to a huge monthly bill for things that they can provide at no marginal cost.

On a somewhat unrelated subject, I found it very irritating that all the retention reps continually repeated how much D* valued me as a longtime customer. That's clearly false and cheapens the concept of valuing customers. They obviously value new customers far more than they value me -- as shown by the tremendous discounts that are being offered only to new subscribers. Given the conventional wisdom on the cost of retaining customers vs. attracting new ones that seems somewhat backwards to me, but I trust D* has a far more sophisticated understanding of this market than I do. Nonetheless, the hollow insincerity with which they throw that statement around makes customers unwilling to believe it from companies who do value established customers over new ones and, in turn, makes customer loyalty something hard to develop and probably unprofitable to pursue in this day.

Wow, I'm 36 and I sound so depressingly old . . . well, I'll soon have lots of pretty hi-def pictures to distract me while they mash my medicine into my applesauce.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA

I'd say by the fact that you are getting discounts they do consider you a valued customer. New customer specials are traditionally better than what a current customer will receive. On a simple scale, look at a newspaper subscription. They'll offer you 10 weeks at the Sunday only price. After that, you pay for 7 days at the same rate until it goes up. You will never get another "discount" for being a valued customer. Same usually goes for magazines.

- Merg

14. zudy

zudy Legend

Jul 22, 2009
    Why do people always want something for free. What about the quality of the whole DirecTv package it self. When you went into the store to get the HD Tv did you tell them you wanted a discount because you were in there store. Just be happy with what they offer you. Do you ever think that we all pay alittle bit more just to balance out the free stuff everyone thinks they should get. (just my opinion)

15. parallax1

parallax1 Mentor

Jun 21, 2007
    Here's my opinion:

Why do people always think that others want something for free? If you get the DVR at no cost is it yours to keep forever? No. They are letting you use it and you pay for it each month as a DVR fee. Then when you cancel your service you return it. So if you have 1 DVR for 24 months x $6= $144. NOT FREE. And if by chance it breaks and can't be fixed DirecTV can write it off on their taxes.

Obviously your HDTV comparison is silly since the "store" doesn't get your TV back after you are done with it.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because some of the longest threads extant are about getting discounts and special offers for existing subscribers?

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    That sentiment usually follows someone grousing about having to pay to obtain discounted equipment while at the same time outlining the $340 in discounts they are getting at the same time.

18. parallax1

parallax1 Mentor

Jun 21, 2007
    All I'm saying is in the end, you don't own the equipment. Directv does. You pay for the dvr "service" each month regardless of how much or little you get it for initially, so it's not "free". If I'm wrong about that please correct me, but wanting a discount is far different than wanting a freebie.

19. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Semantics. You want to look at it that way, then I can't say you're wrong.

I think the fact that there were $340 in discounts given, then a statement that it's felt that's not enough, then acknowlegement that others feel it's a good deal followed by a continuation of the argument that the discounts are there just to be tossed about at whim - combine that with the myriad of threads where people strongly bemoan the fact that they have to pay for equipment - I didn't blink when someone made the comment about people looking for a freebie. Seen so much of that already.

Semantics. ;)

20. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Symantecs? :confused: How does Norton Antivirus play into it?