1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Long text messages

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Oct 30, 2013.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Whenever anybody sends me really long text messages they send them as one long text message, but my phone sees them as separate, 180 character messages and jumbles them all up. Just had somebody send me a text message that my phone broke into 18 smaller messages and randomly arranged, making it very difficult to read them in the correct order. Is there anyway to fix this? It's EXTREMELY annoying! I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using DBSTalk mobile app

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I've seen this before with my iPhone. It is a little distracting but at least it keeps them in order. I can imagine it's pretty frustrating when it doesn't.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Have your correspondent use e-mail for heaven's sake!

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's not necessarily your phone. I think if for example a Verizon customer sends a long text to another Verizon customer, it will be received as sent, one long message. If it's sent to someone at a different carrier, the enhanced text messaging features are removed, and you've got individual messages in chunks.

I agree, either use email or one of those messaging apps like WhatsApp or BBM.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah that's the nature of texting if your not on the same system.

At the very least your friend could break up the messages themselves and even label then 1, 2, so on and so forth. I think all phones have a character count ability on screen when they are writing.

6. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    If they have that much to say have them call you.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The current xkcd is very topical:

[​IMG]

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Tell your friends you quit paying attention after 150 characters, so hurry up.

9. Nov 1, 2013 #9 of 11
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    It's not always friends. I am signed up for text alerts from various local agencies, including counties surrounding the area where I live and the commuter bus I take to work. They send out texts with weather and traffic problems and changes in schedule or route. Some of them are also available by email, some are not. Sometimes I subscribe to both, but when I subscribe to a text messaging service, I expect to get text messages. I can't just tell them to call or email instead.

The messages are usually long, sometimes 6 or 7 texts worth. They used to come as individual texts, which was really annoying. Now they seem to get stitched together into one long message. I don't know if they changed, or my phone OS (Android) did, but it seemed to happen for all of them at once and it works much better now, so I'm guessing it was Android, although it could also be AT&T.

10. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    SMS has a built in limit of 160 characters, if that limit is reached it splits to a second 160 character block. SMS is basically forward and forget, is a stateless communication protocol in which every SMS message is considered entirely independent of other messages if the carrier does not pay attention to the UDH (user data heading) segemnts can be received out of order or messages from the same number that arrive at the same time will be treated as one message. if there is a messaging app on your phone it can manipulate the segments and join them together

11. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Try Textra...its a pretty nice free app for Android that is much better than the stock SMS and MMS app....