1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

longer and longer pause on delete....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jksellman, Sep 8, 2013.

1. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    I have an HR20 with an outboard 2TB HDD.....
    Recently it has begun to take a long time for the system to delete a program from the DVR.
    The longer the program, the longer the time to delete (a period of time when the screen shows the sections
    for information, but there is no text and the system won't respond to commands).
    A sports program that is 5 or 6 hours long can render the system in this frozen mode for up to sixty seconds.
    This is a fairly recent development...I have had this system running for a few years with out these long delays when deleting.
    Is this common? Any ne know how to speed it up like it was before??
    Thanks

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    RUn tests on the drive, it could be failing...if you restart your receiver through the menus, when it says running receiver self check, hit the select button on your remote, it will take you to an area you can run tests on the external hdd.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I recall that phenom on my now retired HR20-700. What software version? How full the drive? Some times clearing the Guide can speed things up; two menu resets within 30 minutes.

4. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    This happens on both my HR20's both of which have external HDDs (1 is 1GB, the other 2GB). It doesn't matter how full the drives are (neither is more than 50% full at the moment), whether I reset even doing the "double reset," or whether I clear NVRAM. Nothing makes it faster. Deleting programs from the play list using the red button can take up to a minute. I do that rarely, though, so what bothers me more is that when I delete a program, and it takes me back to the play list, it can take up to 30 seconds before the list populates, and I can then make another selection.

I don't think it's the HDDs as they have both tested OK (with the short test), and the year or so that this has been happening I have never had a bad or missed recording and only very rare pixelation during playback.

SMK