1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Longhorn netwok

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by thelucky1, Jan 19, 2011.

1. thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    ESPN News - ESPN reaches 20-yr, $300 million deal with Univ. of Texas to develop TV network dedicated to UT

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I love UT, but this is nuts. I understand conference deals like SEC/ESPN and the Big 10 network, but for 1 school????

3. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    Hmmm....and who is going to pay for that deal? We will in the end. Only thing I want to see from Texas is a big juicy black angus ribeye!

4. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    If you have any sort of sports pack you will. It's the only way I see the Longhorn Network getting carriage on cable & satellite outside of the state of Texas.

5. TANK

TANK Icon

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I don't understand the logic behind a single school network.

Any Texas must see Football or Basketball game will be shown on another network because of the Conference TV deal .

6. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    What's going to be shown initially on the Texas Network is a single non-conference football game that probably wouldn't have been picked up by the Big 12 TV partners and been PPV and up to 8 non-conference men's basketball games as well as all of the olympic sports, including women's basketball, which excluding college baseball, probably the majority of Texas fans could care less about.

If this channel takes off and is successful, when the Big 12 ABC/ESPN TV Agreement is up in either 2015 or 2016, Texas will go the independence route and then have all 12 football games and all men's basketball games on the channel.