1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longhorn Network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by alevine1986, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1 of 31
    alevine1986

alevine1986 Godfather

Jul 10, 2007
    Mack Brown said that the first two games of the season against Wyoming and New Mexico will both be on the LHN. There will be a conference game on the LHN network too. I hope Directv adds it this year! Since most sports bars have Directv because of the NFL Sunday Ticket, there is really nowhere to go to watch the games. I will be really disappointed if Directv doesn't pick up the channel this year.

2. Aug 7, 2012 #2 of 31
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I wouldn't bet on it.

3. Aug 8, 2012 #3 of 31
    shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo AllStar

Jun 24, 2011
    Well prepare to be disappointed :(

The CEO this past week already said with all the new RSNs coming, they are only gonna add ones that "make sense" and honestly, adding a network that just focuses on ONE university, doesn't make sense.. you have these in the next coming months:

- beIN Sports 1 (and 2)
    - PAC 12 Network
    - Lakers New Sports Net
    - Rockets/Astros New Sports Net

That's just to name a few also Universal Sports in HD is also a requested favorite around here too...

ben
    voodoo

4. Aug 8, 2012 #4 of 31
    BusterAvis

BusterAvis Legend

Jul 13, 2012
    No one cares about this network outside of Texas, I hate to say.
    DirecTV is a national company. Not a local or regional company.
    They can and will succeed without needing a university network that ESPN is trying to boss them around to pay too much money.

DirecTV officials have basically laughed off this network in the past.
    They could not care any less.

5. Aug 8, 2012 #5 of 31
    espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    What exactly would be missed, a five touchdown blowout?

Seriously though, DirecTV was and is still willing to pay a special rate just to carry the football games and LHN is equally at fault for not letting that happen.

6. Aug 8, 2012 #6 of 31
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    also fs new orleans (sub feed)

7. Aug 8, 2012 #7 of 31
    alevine1986

alevine1986 Godfather

Jul 10, 2007
    It makes as much sense to add a network that focuses on one university as any of the channels you mentioned. Let me elaborate...

beIN Sports 1 (and 2) - I had to look this one up because I never heard of it. It looks like it focuses on soccer and rugby, which are not very popular sports in the US.

PAC 12 Network - If they add it the way they do the B1G Network it makes more sense than the LHN. If they add all 7, you'll have six regional channels and a useless national channel because it's showing something that is on one of the regionals. Each regional will focus on two universities. Except for maybe the SoCal regional, the other channels will focus on two schools whose popularity combined is less than UT.

Lakers New Sports Net - The Lakers are the most popular NBA team, but this channel will really only be good for people in SoCal because everyone else will have to get NBA LP to see the Lakers games.

Comcast Sports Houston - See Lakers channel insert Houston for SoCal and put two teams without near the popularity of the Lakers on.

Universal Sports - Again, not very popular sports in the US except during the Olympics.

8. Aug 8, 2012 #8 of 31
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Some of your points are valid but LHN is pretty much only good locally (as much as the others are) and for about 10 hours a year.

9. Aug 8, 2012 #9 of 31
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
  10. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    You have SOME good points.... but also a few very bad ones. First off, the Lakers DMA consists of all of Southern California south of Fresno, and the entire states of Nevada and Hawaii, which is about 30 Million people. Second, Houston's Comcast Sportsnet will carry 2 major league teams + local college/university sports, and caters to a DMA what is well over 8 million, about 1/3d of Texas. Also, the Los Angeles TWC Sportsnet will carry L.A. Galaxy, and the Dodgers rights are up for grabs after the 2013 season.

Bein Sports.... soccer is gaining in popularity nationwide. And that last word is important, there is nationwide interest in soccer, much more so than 1 university team in Texas which I think has a huge LOCAL following, but perhaps not so big elsewhere. Also, BeIN Sports seems to be a transition. GOL-TV is losing most of their soccer rights, and GOL-TV will be replaced by it on DirecTV, so it in essence doesn't take up another slot.

Universal Sports isn't even in HD yet, it doesn't exist. If it does, I want it badly. I am a fan of sports.... but I dislike football and basketball. I never watch it. Instead, outside of watching baseball (Go Angels!) and ice hockey.... (Go Ducks!) I watch things like speed skating, bobsledding, field hockey... and these are sports covered by this network.

As far as PAC12 goes, they do offer 24/7 programming. Sure, a lot of it are repeats, but they also offer all the other college sports BESIDES Football and Basketball. Next to baseball, softball, soccer..... they are even going to show some live field hockey (which I like) and water polo. This means that there is live sport pretty year round. Also, they have 2 universities per local channel, not only does that mean more programming from the get-go, with all the sports they plan on covering it means ONE regional channel will have a lot more programming than Longhorn Network will.

In the end, Longhorn Network might just be "too local". Where universities like UCLA and USC have a large nationwide following (how many times have you heard UCLA and USC mentioned in the Olympics, as opposed to Texas University, as where athletes were from?) there might simply not be enough of a nationwide following for the Longhorn Network.

This all said, of course, PAC-12 isn't a guarantee, they are still talking. But I really would not want to get your hopes up regarding Longhorn Network. I would estimate that IF this network is important to you, important enough to switch providers.... You may have to.

11. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    There's also another important point. If the other leagues are like MLB, Directv will pretty much have to carry the network to get the feed of those games both for residents in those areas as well as those who sub to out of market sports packages. If D* doesn't carry the CSN Philly feed for the Phillies one would assume they wouldn't just be able to carry the Lakers feed if they don't carry those networks. So, they may have to add those just to keep the same value in those other services.

As far as the Longhorn Network. I'll say what I said months ago. I don't have any interest in this channel, nor any conference/school specific network. A lot of others don't either. If Directv wants to add it a la carte or in some other separate package where they can stick all these channels, fine. I do not want to pay for it.

12. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    For the OOM Sports Packages, they can always use the feed of the opponent. In the case of the Phillies, they may not carry the home feed, but since they carry all other NL League teams (that I am aware of), they can still carry the feed for the opposing team, and thus showing the game on MLB Extra Innings.

It will get more interesting when they don't carry more than 1 team, and those teams play each other. If they don't carry the Lakers for instance, besides causing a major uproar in a 30-million-people DMA, they would still be able to show the opponent's feed on NBA League Pass, unless they play a team that they also don't carry. Of course that feed would be blacked out for LOCAL in market people, who would only be able to see the LOCAL feed.

13. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    In the case of the Phillies for the OOM package they do indeed carry the CSN Philly feed and also their OTA feed. I would also bet for the CSN Houston Fees I would bet they take the FSN part time feed and convert that to full time. Since both teams have a piece there is no way D* won't carry it. Same with the Lakers new RSN

14. alevine1986

alevine1986 Godfather

Jul 10, 2007
    I have no interest in many channels Directv carries, but realize that others do, and I pay for them. As someone else mentioned, the Phillies and Blue Jays feed are in MLB EI, even though neither teams network is offered by Directv.

15. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I don't mind paying my fair share for Longhorn Network either (there are many channels I don't watch), I just don't believe DirecTV will carry it soon.

16. alevine1986

alevine1986 Godfather

Jul 10, 2007
    Every RSN is just as local as the LHN. In that respect, I would think it would be in Sports Pack outside of Texas.

Also, UT has many sports they excel in. If you make the arguement that the PAC 12 regional networks is going to have all this programing from other sports of two schools, you can make the same arguement of the LHN. I just can't see more people watching the regional Mountian or Oregon networks vs LHN.

17. alevine1986

alevine1986 Godfather

Jul 10, 2007
    I'm afraid you're probably right.

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    One thing the PAC 12 net has going for it is sheer volume of programming. LHN doesn't have that. If they beef up the amount of programming, it makes it more worthwhile. It is not UT versus the PAC 12 schools as much as LHN is tier 3 programming for UT and the Big 12 whereas the PAC 12 net is at the top of their food chain.

19. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    You are SO mistaken with regards to Oregon. Guess where the Olympic Trials were held for all the Athletics competitions for the USA team..... Sure, that particular event is not a PAC12 event, but the University of Oregon is sort of known for its Athletics/Track & Field program - besides the Oregon Ducks football team of course.

You also need to keep in mind that there is a difference between "sports they excel in", (I am sure every University has a few good focal sports), and "sports that are broadcasted on television".

Every University broadcasts Football, Basketball, and probably Baseball. But how many Universities actually televise their e.g. Field Hockey competition or their Track & Field competition? Besides the fact that Oregon Track & Field was already broadcasted, PAC-12 is about to change that. They have 850 live sports broadcasts event planned for the first year, with the rights to another 1440 sporting events. Within a few years, they could be broadcasting 2200+ events, which is about 300 per channel, depending on how things get divided up, and counting in the 7th, main channel.

Now granted, I don't know if Longhorn does anything like that, or whether they just stick to Football, Basketball, and maybe Baseball.

Also, PAC-12's plans have been criticized as being "too bold", and of course although most cable companies are on board, and they have the entire territory covered, they do still need to prove themselves.

Personally I think that, overall, the UT Longhorn market is probably too small in both local size and national pull, and they may just not offer a whole lot of television outside of football and basketball.

Additionally, there is a few more factors that drive these kinds of decissions:

- How many existing DirecTV clients are within the Longhorn DMA? (To determine how many customers might want the network and/or would potentially leave because of the network).
    - How much money does Longhorn TV want.

If DirecTV has a below-average penetration in the UT Texas DMA area, and Longhorn Network is asking more than DirecTV is willing to pay, that will be a BIG part of deciding whether Longhorn Network is worth it.

Risk/reward, supply/demand. It is all about the deal.

20. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    When you say UT DMA do you mean Austin or the entire state of Texas?